• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gemini's Story-a VERY Special Congo African Grey:)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Many of You have already read this story(And I do not expect You to go through it againJ But I'm hoping there will be a lot of New Roadies that Have Not. Gemini was 15 years old when I wrote this, She is 19 Now And still The "Grand Madame over the flock
I'm going to put this Up- Perhaps a Chapter or 2 a day-so as Not to Bore anyone
So without further rambling(I have done a wee bit of editing because of the time that has elapsed since I originally wrote thisJ
I'm going to try to write" Gemini's story as condensed as possible ,so as not to Bore anyone that Reads it and because I just cant type for long periods at a time(another story in itself-LOL)
OK-here goes---When I bought Gemini-she was supposed to be 5 and 1/2 weeks old-OK This is Gemini when I opened her Travel case at the airport!

Her Eyes were NOT even open yet and she still had remnants of her EGG TOOTH!
I had Never seen such a YOUNG Grey ,but I sure as heck knew that she was NOT 5 and 1/2 weeks old. OK so we(My daughter and I with Gemini and HER Baby Grey-who actually did appear to be the 11 weeks old that the Breeder said he was Rush home to feed them. Already I'm noticing that She could not hold her Head up BUT Thinking that maybe its just normal for her age! WELL Her first potty was tinged RED-OK so I already Know that I know more about birds in My area then any of the Vets-SO I'm on the Phone from one side of the country to the other trying to get info from Breeders-Such as Weight charts(nobody kept them 19 years ago-Not much help there) But they did confirm that she should be able to hold her head up. And that she had to have some kind of sickness(the blood in the stool)I Finally-after 2 days and 2 VERY LONG nights with Gemini sleeping on My chest in a blanket-so that I could feed her every time she awoke)Located a so called avian Vet 100 miles away. Well $150.00 later -I find out that Gemini is indeed less then 2 weeks old(can You Imagine that she even survived the Flight from Fla to NY)That she does have something wrong with her neck--and These are the VETS words" But with-out expensive testing we cant tell what it is-and is it worth it?" OH-MAN-I wanted to HIT HER! She did take Blood and would mail me medication for what-ever Gemini had. Turns out She had E-Coli-I slept on the couch with Her on My chest for 2 weeks ,praying that She would Make-It, and wondering How I could give this SWEET Baby a quality life! I did not know if she would ever be able to even perch ,let alone Feed Herself! GEMINI-Was and Is a Survivor-She ate like a Piggy and Grew like a Weed! This Is Her at 17 days old

By Now ,I had exhausted any means of trying to get ANY info on how to help this baby(No Internet back then) I had thought of Bracing her neck Up-But when I tried to Raise her head it seemed to bother her---OH-Heck No I'm NOT gonna HURT HER! SO I decided to set Her Up in a heated aquarium with toys and all kinds of things hanging from the Top, also Cherrios ,fruits veggies millet ,etc etc under her(ALL for stimulation and encouragement to USE Her Neck-thus develop muscle and control).(See the First pic at the top)My Little fighter continued to grow and develop---Here she is at 5 weeks old

She could raise her head for Hand feeding(because I sorta Strongly encouraged it) BUT when She relaxed, Her Head would be Totally Up-Side down!--OK Everyone-I have gotten to 6 weeks and its a good thing I have condensed(LOL) I'm going to stop for this Chapter and rest my arm--Gemini is 19 now-SO There are MANY Chapters ,Do You really want me to continue:hehe: Thanks to any one that takes the time to Read about My Very Special-Grand madam-Gemini!:heart::hug8: Bonnie

Up-Date-Gemini is almost 23 years old now
:hug8::heart::hug8:

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Bonnie, I could read this story over and over and over - and it still gives me chills every time - please do continue when you are up to it

:hug8:

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
I too have read this story and Really gets me in the heart everytime. Gemini is such a wonderful fid and Im so glad I had the pleasure of meeting her. Bonnie you have done an excellent job with her and the love you two share is amazing. Gemini is so lucky to have a great momma like you. Love that lil girl. Hug's Barb and Isis

I agree do continue I think many need to hear this!!!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK Everyone-I have gotten to 6 weeks and its a good thing I have condensed(LOL) I'm going to stop for this Chapter and rest my arm--Gemini is 19 now
I have never read Gemini's story and I am looking forward to every word you type. Bless you and bless Gemini.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love love love this story. Looking forward to chapter two! :heart:

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
YES! Please continue, i have not heard the story of Gemini! I am ready to keep reading...

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Yes, Bonnie, please do go on. You are a great birdie mom and Gemini is such an inspiration!

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Gemini's Story-a VERY Special Congo African Grey Part 2

Thank You all SO MUCH-I have to go to a Wake this evening:(So before I leave(soon) I'm putting up Chapter 2:hug8:

Chapter 2
By the age of 6 weeks,I knew that Gemini was finally over the E-coli and growing and gaining weight at an alarming rate-SO I just knew that She was going to Make it!My Lord,I don’t think I had ever nor will I ever again seen such intelligence and wonder in a Fids eyes as I did in Hers!

Now I was facing the problem of converting her living arrangements from her nursery Tank into a cage.I still did not know if she would actually be able to climb and perch and
preen and feed herself, although she would grip onto my hand,and sit/perch with me ,so I knew her legs were good and strong. And I would do what ever it took to allow her to learn to be independent.

I knew that her cage had to be set up much different then a normal baby cage,BUT I did not have anything suitable.

I had no choice but to sell some of my other cages and some non producing(at least for me)breeder birds to buy a huge double decker cage that had horizontal bars on both sides.This allowed Me to put perches,Ladders(from end to end as perches) toys bowls etc at different levels of the cage.I covered one back corner with a blanket,and had a heating pad(on low) under that corner of the cage,put Gemini’s favorite snuggle blanky and stuffed animal in the warm corner,Fed Gemini and Put her into her new Home!

Did she freak out,Yea right-its like WOW Mom this is Great! She looked around,mouthed a few toys and snuggled in for a Nap!It was not a day later and She WAS PERCHING! The perch was quite big around so it was easy for her to keep her balance I guess.The next few weeks were milestone after milestone of progress made and far surpassed.She started to preen,to climb the sides of the Cage(My heart be still),But she still slept in the warm corner.

Now it was time to teach her to feed herself-So She would join me at the table for dinner.I started by spoon feeding her(instead of the syringe) then progressed to having her help herself from a bowl of her own.Lord she was just SO smart,it was almost as if she could not wait to learn to be independent.By the age of 3 months she was not only almost weaned(she would have been-but I needed to continue with the nightly share supper sessions)LOL,But she was already starting to Talk! I guess my sleeping with her on my chest fo
her first few weeks with me and constantly repeating,”I love You” “Mommy’s Sweet Baby Grey” paid off because besides “Kitty”,”Hello”,and “You hungry” those were among her first sentences!God I love that Bird!-OK I have gotten from 6 weeks to 3 months, in this chapter.The following chapters will most likely cover alot more ground(age)I don’t want to bore you with ever little detail.Thanks again for everyone that takes the time to read this and for Your wonderful comments!

Here are a couple of pictures during this period of her life!

The Grey with Her here is My daughters Bird -Bam-Bam,he came from the same Breeder and is about 10 weeks older then Gemini!

r

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Love her story Bonnie and it is never boring or dull. She is one special bird.
Love the story you told of her looking down the stairs at some visitors who had come in and said "Why are you upside down?"
That put it all in perspective for me, she was OK they were all wrong! :hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Bonnie, I have never heard sweet Geminis story, so I am very glad you are sharing it again. I don't think you could bore us if you tried. I love the pics of Gemini at each stage of her life and story. Can't wait for more. Thank you!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I am so happy to see Gemini's story posted again :heart::heart::heart:
I will read it again and again and again :hug8:

Last edited:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I have not heard the story of Gemini! I can't wait to read the rest.

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
I haven't heard Gemini's story either. I'm in total shock. You are one incredible mommy & one incredible person. You quite literally had Gemini's life in your hands for such a long period of time. At least we know there is a happy ending. Can't wait to hear the rest.

:hug8:to Gemini!

PS- I would be interested if you did any followup with the breeder, etc.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I remember you telling me a little about Gemini over the phone, but never did find the story. I am anxiously waiting to hear the rest! You are a birdy momma angel Bonnie:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Thanks again everyone:hug8:I guess its time for Chapter 3:D

OK Moving right along to Chapter 3

“Gemini’s Story-OMG Is she gonna FLY?

We know by now that Gemini is able to raise her head enough to actually Preen and she can feed herself(very well I might add)!

She does walk with what I would call a sorta-Rain-man walk kinda but doesn’t quite drag the left leg(She even learned to say”UH-OH Time for Wappner”.I Never imagined that she would even Try to FLY! WRONG! Once she got comfortable enough with keeping her balance-Then came the wing flapping(Lord yet again My Heart Be still)!It WAS SO HARD to allow her to BE a PARROT,I just wanted to keep her protected and safe--Yea Like SHE was gonna put up with THAT! Sure enough after about a week of Practice She had Take off! All I can say is that she can do right circles but not for long! Thank the Lord that once she got it out of her system, she does not fly unless she is spooked!

OK-now -So far I have really tried to keep her away from the other fids, I rekon its time to let her socialize!Again,all my worry was for nothing!I just started leaving her door open and she would climb on up to the top and hang out! The others were curious but did NOT Bother her! Here is a pic:)

Gemini and Grizzlebird

What is Funny is when the others enter HER Cage and She is in there-I actually watched Her grab hold of a Quakers tail and help him to the bottom of the cage-Then when she saw that I saw her do it, she looked down at him and said “You OK Baby-Huh You OK?” I cracked Up! She would also call the kitty then pick up and toss her 30 0z water bowl at the cat(ya gotta love it )Gemini continued to make all kinds of progress not only with her balance, getting around,playing,eating and preening but her Talking was phenomenal! I would tell people that she was so smart cause she had more blood flow to the brainJ .

Through out all of this, I was also hand raising up to 20 tiels at a time, up to 3 Quakers and Indian ring-necks. SO Gemini soon became The Mother Hen Ya might say- as soon as she would see me getting My feeding station ready she would start saying(In her sweetest Mommy voice) “You hungry Huh-want some, its good”

When Gemini was about 8 months old, I contacted Bird-Talk about writing her story for their “Special Bird” section, They wrote back to me asking If I could write the Story and They were going to use it in a Feature Story about Handicapped birds! WELL ALL-RIGHTY THEN! So With My Daughters Help(actually she was MORE then just Help) We wrote the story! Sorry but I rekon that will have to be in the next Chapter!
J To be Continued! LOL Till then,Thanks again for Your interest and Kind Words! Bonnie