• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Geese Temprement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
If I ever live out in the country again I want to have a few chickens like my family had when I was a kid. We interacted with them a little everyday and they were were friendly with some enjoying being petted and supposedely there was a rooster that chased people down to cuddle before I was born. I think I'd want to to try keeping a couple geese too but I don't know if they have a temprement like chickens the would if interacted with everyday. I'd really like them to take a gaurd type duty like a dog would in making noise when people or animals came around and being intimidating to things that might mess with the chickens. I miss having happy outside birds to go throw table scraps.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
from what I remember from a teenager many moons ago geese would chase anything in the yard includding the dogs and would bite everyone

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Geese are great guard birds. My aunts kept a dozen to help guard their sheep many years ago. Once they got the geese, the sheep stopped disappearing over night. Of couse, they kept a big guard dog as well, but the geese start honking and yelling at any little disturbance and keep it up until the thing making the disturbance goes away. That is what the dog was for; making the disturbance go away.

Geese are extremely aggressive and do not make good pets.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Geese are wonderfully smart, incredibly beautiful birds....they will chase anything that walks..especially if they are ganders..ganders protect their territory fiercely.

Ben

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Thanks everyone! I was trying to do a little research but only really found anything about gosling's disposition. I knew they were good gaurd birds, my dad wouldn't ever let us get because of it.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Geese are definitely great guards. Especially going after smaller animals that might be dangerous to your chickens.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I disagree that geese are very aggressive, I think they are misunderstood. They actually make wonderful pets if you raise them right and spend lots of time with them. That's the key though, you have to spend a LOT of time with them especially when they are young. My sister and I raised 7 goslings from day-olds five years ago and we were outside interacting with them for at least 1-2 hours a day, every day. We've also had five other geese that were raised with significantly less interaction than those seven received.

The ONLY aggression issues we've had are when a couple of the girls are on eggs. Then they get territorial, and understandably so. Our girl African and Chinese' have always been extremely sweet, it was mainly Suzy our girl Toulouse, and occasionally the Embdens that were aggressive around the eggs. The boys are all great. Duffy the "head goose", a White Chinese, is a big sweetheart. He loves to "talk" to people and have snuggles. The other boys aren't too friendly anymore, but have never been aggressive.

We've been pinched a few times by the nesty girls, but never attacked by any of them, boys or girls.

They are good guard animals and will make a big ruckus when someone/something new in on the farm. Ours are in a pen so they don't chase off intruders (though they do chase the crows and ravens that try to steal the eggs), but you sure hear them when there's someone new.

Geese are awesome:heart:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
We had geese and chicken. They were fine with us but did not like anyone else and would chase them. They were definitely our guard birds :D If they were loose in the yard and someone came over I would have to go put them in their pen before the visitors could get out of the car ;)

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Duffy and I having a chat:
2154.jpg

Stretching those wings!
GeeseJuly16.jpg

Say Cheese!
GeeseJuly16 (3).jpg

Ben

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Thanks Megan for telling us about your geese!! I was thinking they could get friendly like chickens could if enough time is spent with them. It's probably a lot more time compared to the chickens though. I think I will get a couple geese someday. I was considerring an emu too but that won't fly. (I had to go for the bad pun):o:

Status
Not open for further replies.