• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC's fighting with scared bird

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I've had my gcc Jupiter for a few years. A few months ago I got adopted a 5 year old pineapple gcc who wasn't taken care of very well. Very limited flying skills.
She was impossible to handle at first so we did training through her cage for the first month or so and now she can be let out and I can get her back in the cage no problem.

They don't get along at all which I'm okay with, they can still be out together supervised. But more and more Jupiter flies to Seraphim to fight. So now Seraphim doesn't really want to leave her cage much at all. She will venture out to snack but go right back in. The fighting lasts a few seconds before I get Jupiter to step up and no one has ever been hurt.

I am wondering if I should take more steps to get them to get along or should I just have separate time out?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Separate time out or try netting between.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Jupiter has had you to herself for a few years now. Seraphim coming into your home will be seen as a threat to your bond with Jupiter. I think you may have to go tougher, with seperate out of cage time - one slip with a barrier like sheets or netting and Jupiter will be able to get to Seraphim. They may get over it and become friends or they could be enemies for life. Neither can be predicted.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Jupiter has had you to herself for a few years now. Seraphim coming into your home will be seen as a threat to your bond with Jupiter. I think you may have to go tougher, with seperate out of cage time - one slip with a barrier like sheets or netting and Jupiter will be able to get to Seraphim. They may get over it and become friends or they could be enemies for life. Neither can be predicted.
Thank you, yes your right. It isn't possible to break the room up since they are both in the living room. I keep their perch stick and luckily Jupiter always steps up when I shove the stick between them. But it isn't worth the risk so I'll do out of cage time.

Jupiter is quite jealous even though I still make sure we get one on one time. We don't even have a "great" bond by any means. She likes to hang out but isn't cuddly or into petting. Our relationship is quite chill. So I'm hopeful one day they'll get along. Seraphim seems to like Jupiter. But I am prepared to keep them separate for life. Little turds.