• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gcc

yoshiii

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
Hello! I’m a new owner and recently new to the birdy community. I know them at seed are not a good diet for a bird since they’re like junk food, i really want to change his diet to pellet diet. I am kinda nervous and still make mistakes but I am still learning. My gcc is about 5 month, I heard Harrison’s pellets are nice start. But I don’t want to make mistakes with him. So can you please help? What would you peeps recommend?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

There is no single best pellet. My focuses are:

1. The bird eats it. If they won't eat it, it doesn't matter if it is harvested from the Amazon itself.
2. The bird does well on it. Not all pellets are a good fit for every bird.
3. It fits your budget. If you are having to eat Ramen 5 nights a week to feed your bird, it is okay to feed them another pellet they like and do well on!

Now, I do have preferences. Ideally, I like a pellet to be:

1. Free of Sugar. They don't need it!
2. Free of Dyes. No reason to have them if you can avoid them!
3. Vitamin Fortified.

That being said, for birds who are resistant to eating pellets, I have personally had the best luck with Zupreem FruitBlend. Most of my birds have then been easier to convert to a pellet I prefer. Ripley, however, does not care about my preferences and is happy and healthy on it, so I still feed it while also offering other options.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We use Harrison's Adult lifetime Fine pelletts. Jenks our GCC really took to them right away. He was on an all seed diet when we got him and he transitioned very nicely to those pelletts. I think because they were so small just like the seeds he was use to. Our Aries that passed away loved the Zupreem FruitBlend pelletts. I have tried other brands as well but these two are the ones I have had the best luck with.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I use Lafeber premium daily diet pellets. I have the one for parakeets but I’m pretty sure there’s one for Green Cheeks too. Mine love it and took to it immediately. And remember that they still need seeds and vegetables as part of their diet, not only pellets, no matter how healthy they are.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use Lafeber premium daily diet pellets. I have the one for parakeets but I’m pretty sure there’s one for Green Cheeks too. Mine love it and took to it immediately. And remember that they still need seeds and vegetables as part of their diet, not only pellets, no matter how healthy they are.
For granivorous birds like budgies and cockatiels, this is true, but for conures they actually do not need seeds. They can make up to 10% of the diet (treat quantities) if you wish :)

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Your bird should have a diet of pellets,fruits, and veggies every day some birds do need seeds others don’t. Harrison’s is a really good pellet brand to use. Also make sure that any fruits and veggies you use are safe!I hope I helped in some way. Also welcome to the avenue!!

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
:welcometrain: Agreed! Definitely try out Harrison's pellets.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I use lafebers premium parrot pellets and also a little bit of TOPS pellets. My 2 gcc's who were on an almost all seed diet when I rescued them took to these pellets fast and they love both brands, although my vet did say she wouldn't recommend feeding TOPS alone. And I agree with what everyone else is saying too, definitely give fresh veggies and fruits!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I feed my gcc Zupreem currently, although I'd like to get her on Harrison's eventually. She also gets 1 nut a day (almond, cashew or pistachio) and chop. She only really gets seeds as a training treat.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I use tropican cockatiel pellets. They smell of bubblegum but it's not too bad.