• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Won't Poop In Cage?

GCCPineapp

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all,

I have had other birds such as Macaws and Cockatiels etc. I just adopted a young GCC that is about six months old.

The problem I am having is he will not poop in the cage.. He will hold it for hours until someone takes him out and he can use the bathroom. When he is out of the cage he goes normally but as soon as he is in the cage he refuses to go. In the morning he feels like he looses a 1/3 of his body weight pooping. I didn't know a bird could hold so much... I usually get him out just so he can use the bathroom if I have been at work or away from house for a few hours. I hold him quite a bit during the day but there are times I am not home for hours and he holds it...

I have seen after enough hours in cage him just finally go potty but he seems to try and shoot it out the side of the cage...?

How can I fix this I am sure it can't be healthy for him to hold it in for hours?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's actually not that uncommon. Birds are predisposed to not wanting to poop in the nest, and for a lot of birds, the cage is a nest to them.

My green cheek was the same way when I brought her home. She did get better as she got older :)

Hope Mercy

Checking out the neighborhood
Mine won't potty in their night cages. Day cages, that okay with them. Guess they don't want to sleep near poop.