• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent GCC WITH PARROT FEVER PLEASE HELP!!

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
I have a 7 month old gcc with parrot fever. She has been to the vet and started on antibiotics. The results are not confirmed yet but her symptoms are pretty textbook. The vet has said to put the antibiotics in half a cup of water a day...but she doesnt drink that much so im confused and scared as I lost my baby gcc (16 weeks old) a week ago. Is parrot fever fatal? Im scared i am going to lose her and anything I can do, I will do i just need some guidance. Thank you.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the diagnosis. If she isn't getting enough medication via the water route than speak with the vet regarding giving her the medication directly via syringe. Hope she will recover and all will be well.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Macawnutz thank you Sarah for that article. I went thru this at the clinic I volunteered at in 2016. If I remember correctly all the birds who went with paronnts to work had to be on oral suspension meds given by syringe not in their water solution. We all the humans had to be tested also. This is nothing to screw around with either. If you tell us where you are we might be able to help you find a qualified avian vet? I would also quarantine that bird and follow quarantine procedures until you get tested also.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
I am on antibiotics bc i do have symptoms. I took her to a qualified vet. She prescribed antibiotics...but to put in the water...but she doesnt drink 1/2 a cup. I do think the other name is psittocosis. Right now she is pretty weak, tired, but eating very well and shes not grumpy. She has yellow in the corner of her beak...like the skin that when they open their beak looks like the sides of her mouth...im terrified shes not gonna make it thru the night. Is there anything i can do other then the antibiotics??? I can't lose my other baby

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Keep her warm hydrated and quiet. Try giving her liquids with a syringe. Call your vet see if you can bring her emergency.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Contact the vet and let him/her know what is going on. You might have to bring her in so they can medicate her or perhaps they can switch you over to medication that can be administered via syringe and then show you how to administer it.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
She was at the vet today. Im going to call in the morning to see if the dose changes if i give it with a syring...bc she put 2 syringes in the bag...she's calm and sleeping under my shirt to keep warm. She pops out if she gets too warm. She has eaten very well. Shes been going potty fine (its a bit watery and not digesting completely...so she's on a high potency food to get her more nutrients) has anyone had a bird who had this? How fatal is it? Im afraid to go to sleep. And if shes not any better in the morning i will rush her to the vet first thing. I just need to get her thru tonight.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
Thank you guys for all ur replies. And thank you sarah for helping me too. Plzzzz guys i just need to get her thru the night. There's no animal hospital anywhere near me that treats exotics...so I have to wait for the vet to open tomorrow. Any advice on how to keep her alive till I can either see the vet or get her advice over the phone. Still waiting for a lot of test results and what not too.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How is she doing this morning?

I know it's hard to wait for test results. What tests has your vet done? You should have had a CBC, Chem panel and Fecal gram stain done, where those all clear?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, psittacosis can be and often is fatal - to both birds and humans. Right now you need to protect everyone else in your household from the disease. Keep your baby quarantined and wear clothes that you take off before you are in contact with anyone else. May sure you wash thoroughly when you leave her. It is dangerous to birds and to humans.

The bird needs to be kept warm and quiet and given fluids. She needs to be given full doses of antibiotic by mouth, by syringe. Get some baby bird food like Exact and feed that to her - again by syringe or off a spoon. Do not give her anything that has sugar in it.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
She is SO much perkier today. She was screaming for me...and i got a bit scared and ran over to her and she says "hey baby" her perching is stronger.

It can be fatal to humans? My son is away at camp.

Question....keep the cage or buy a new one? I was planning on getting her a new cage...just was planning on it in October bc hers is really old and I wanted one with a play top.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
Im the only one in the house right now. How long do i have to stay in my house? When i asked the vet yesterday she said it was fine to take punky to visit my gramma (her bird...shes in long term care so i take care of her bird) as long as she didnt kiss her or put her near her face and that she washed her hands.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
She couldnt do blood work...bc she was out of the little tubes that go into the machine. Shes calling me when they are in. She did a stool culture, and the test to confirm its parrot fever.

Im a single mom, with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis....the vet bill yesterday was like $500...i dont have enough money to get all those other tests.

Courtney Frame

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney Frame
I am not sure. But my credit isn't great...its not bad but not great by any means. She didnt mention it yesterday when i told her her i couldnt afford more then $350...i had to get the other $150 out of my grocery money for the month. I will call and ask though bc that is a good idea. If i can pay it off over a few months i can afford it. Ill let u know what she says then if she says yes, if you guys could give me a little guidance of what tests should be done.