• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent GCC SWALLOWED A HEDGEHOG QUILL

Delilah Correa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bluerose5154
Hello everyone.
My green cheek decided to "preen" my hedgehog and bit the quill off. He claimed off his cage and into the hedgehog play pen just to do that. I never have my parrots up this late but my boyfriend left for national guard training and I got lonely. The hedgehog is a little upset but back to Tye. When I caught him I immediately got him to step up to try to grab it. Maybe that was my mistake. I didn't mean to startle him. Anyways I have been looking everywhere for it and it's not popping up. He's eating his cooked noodle right now and still trying to run around. He's going to bed soon. I've called 3 vets and the vet I work for. I am waiting on one to call me back and 2 said to just keep an eye on him...an eye. He swallowed a quill. Any advice? I thought the pasta noodle would help. I'll keep looking for the quill. He's bonded with my pearly Conure and now I wouldn't hate if anything happened to Tye.

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
I would imagine if he did indeed swallow the whole quill there is nothing you'll be able to do for it other than take it to a vet. My best guess is that he didn't swallow it whole, might have been thrown somewhere and landed in an odd position or place making it hard to find.
I would think the only way to be sure is for him to get an xray.

I hope you find the quill so you can put your mind at ease!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
keep him quiet, warm, and get to the vet in the AM asap.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Have you toweled him and felt his crop? That's something that's firm enough you should be able to feel it if it's in there. Just be gentle when you're feeling it. If it was only part of the quill I don't imagine it's big enough to cause an obstruction, and I have a hard time believing that a greenie could swallow a quill whole. I know it's distressing right now but try to take a deep breath and wait for your vet to call back

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How does a small bird get near a hedgehog? Gosh I hope your conure will be ok.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please take him to an avian vet.
That sounds serious.
Hope all works out.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hope he's okay!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your GCC is OK. Are you 100% sure he swallowed the quill or did he just bite off a piece and spit it out somewhere?

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
At least hedgehog quills aren't barbed like porcupine quills. I find it hard to imagine he'd actually swallow it, though. It's more likely he just played with it and chewed on it and dropped it somewhere you can't find it.
I would be mildly concerned that hedgehogs like to try to coat their quills with poisonous or strongly scented things they may find around the house, though if the hedgehog has never had access to anything poisonous, the quills should also be non poisonous.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
At least hedgehog quills aren't barbed like porcupine quills. I find it hard to imagine he'd actually swallow it, though. It's more likely he just played with it and chewed on it and dropped it somewhere you can't find it.
I would be mildly concerned that hedgehogs like to try to coat their quills with poisonous or strongly scented things they may find around the house, though if the hedgehog has never had access to anything poisonous, the quills should also be non poisonous.
They do a fair bit of self anointing, which involves a ton of their saliva. The risk in this case is probably minimal but I wouldn't let them interact on a regular basis.