• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Sudden Biting

Good_birdy

Moving in
Real Name
Alexandrine
Hi everyone.

So my conure turned one this summer. Its an ever growing experience and I always try to do better. She's been enjoying cuddles, she likes to sit on my chest and get scritches. However for the past few days she'll boop my hands repeatedly and be progressively fluffing up and getting aggressive until she flat out bites me. My guess is she bites if she doesnt get attention with my hands.

The first few times I was so surprised that I had kind of a jerk reaction and she flew off.

I'm not sure if I should be stopping her as she is getting ready to bite? Or just giving her attention?

Ive managed to avoid some of her bite triggers but this particular one im not sure how to handle.

Advice would be very welcome please.

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
Usually the females become hormonal after about a year and can become aggressive. Keep giving her attention and try not to let her bite you

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Oooh, I don't know. Cheeky has me trained to give her attention when she seeks it. If I'm slow she will give me a not too hard bite but she's not puffed up aggressive about it. Does your bird let you pet her after the bite or does she stay aggressive?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would stop her and move away from her before she bites. It's good that you can tell when she's going to do it.

Good_birdy

Moving in
Real Name
Alexandrine
Oooh, I don't know. Cheeky has me trained to give her attention when she seeks it. If I'm slow she will give me a not too hard bite but she's not puffed up aggressive about it. Does your bird let you pet her after the bite or does she stay aggressive?
I think Tookie might have me trained as well, but its insane how lately she goes from zero to aggressive. I haven't tested petting her after a bite....1. I dont feel particularly loving after a bite, lol. And 2. I feel like that would be rewarding the bite?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
When she bites, calmly put her down and then turn your back to her. You can even walk away if you prefer.

When I notice Rupert getting overly stimulated, I let him blow off steam by flying. Usually that does the trick. I also handle him with T perch until he's calm enough for scratches or cuddles.

Good_birdy

Moving in
Real Name
Alexandrine
When she bites, calmly put her down and then turn your back to her. You can even walk away if you prefer.

When I notice Rupert getting overly stimulated, I let him blow off steam by flying. Usually that does the trick. I also handle him with T perch until he's calm enough for scratches or cuddles.
I usually cant just set Tookie down, either she wont get off, latches on, or flies straight back to me. And the latter especially if I turn my back to her.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Put her to bed early and try to make sure she gets at least 12 hours! Try not to react to the bite and see if it passes!

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i wonder if she's uncomfortable in any way, perhaps in pain and it hurts to be touched