• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC sleeping in corner at bottom

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
(I apologize if this is hard to read) I have a green cheeked conure that I may have accidentally conditioned her to stay at the bottom of her cage at night. My desk where I do schoolwork and play video games and such is near the bottom of her cage. Her bedtime (7:30) which she refuses to follow, is pretty strict and it's already dark where I am by that time. If I'm working or doing something she will stand in the corner closest to me and basically just watch me like a creep. I put up a barricade between us, of folders, and she's in complete darkness. The only noise she hears is me typing on my keyboard. Anyway, shes started to sleep in that corner normally now and it's making me incredibly nervous. When I wake up in the morning she's on her top perch (she usually sleeps there) and when I come back from classes she's up there as well. So she's literally just sleeping there. It's giving me so much anxiety because any bird owner knows that's a red flag. She was just at the Vet for her yearly checkup in August (last month), everything was fine she's very healthy. She's not around other birds and she has plenty of time out of her cage on weekends and when I'm home from classes. So I have no idea what she could be ill from. Her cage is practically idiot proof at this point and there's nothing for her to accidentally consume or hurt herself on. I'll obviously take her to a vet if needed, but I'm incredibly tight on money right now so I'm hesitant. Basically I'm a worried single bird mother that wants her bird to be okay. Any help or emotional support would be appreciated lol.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Maybe switching location of cage and changing perch locations could help? Is it flat at the bottom, maybe she wants a platform perch?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I have a green cheek that's been sleeping at the bottom of his cage. He's older so initially I thought he was afraid of falling at night, now I think his its his "girlfriend" (old pepper shaker) gets knocked down there and he wants to sleep next to it. As long as she still goes to the top, is eating, drinking and pooping fine I wouldn't freak out. Maybe you should try a platform perch for her to sleep on.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t think I fully understand.

If she’s on her perch in the morning then she must be sleeping on her perch, not on the bottom of the cage.

If it’s not actually dark in the room she’s in at 7:30 and there’s obvious activity (especially from a person she likes) then it’s not bedtime to your bird.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily

If she’s on her perch in the morning then she must be sleeping on her perch, not on the bottom of the cage.

If it’s not actually dark in the room she’s in at 7:30 and there’s obvious activity (especially from a person she likes) then it’s not bedtime to your bird.
it is dark, it's completely dark, and I'm decently sure that I screwed up and she started sleeping there because of me. I think she climbs up in the middle of the night I'm not sure because she definitely starts off at the bottom. I'm just worried that she's ill or something.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
Maybe switching location of cage and changing perch locations could help? Is it flat at the bottom, maybe she wants a platform perch?
I bet you she'd like a platform perch, that's actually a really good idea. She's very petite for her age and she wobbles in her sleep so it could be that she's afraid of falling.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
I have a green cheek that's been sleeping at the bottom of his cage. He's older so initially I thought he was afraid of falling at night, now I think his its his "girlfriend" (old pepper shaker) gets knocked down there and he wants to sleep next to it. As long as she still goes to the top, is eating, drinking and pooping fine I wouldn't freak out. Maybe you should try a platform perch for her to sleep on.
Platform perch is 100% going in. I wouldn't be surprised if she just wants a flat surface to stand on.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily

I just checked it's 6 AM she's still in her corner, so she probably moves up when she wakes up.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How old is she?
What kind of perches does she have?
Any other changes like lethargy, appetite changes, puffiness, poop, behaviours etc ?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you covering the cage ?

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
How old is she?
Any other changes like lethargy, appetite changes, puffiness, poop, behaviours etc ?
She's perfectly fine it's literally her just wanting to be in the corner because it's closest to me.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Covering the cage wont make her hormonal it will just darken the cage whilst your working.
It cant be pitch black if your working or playing video games.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
How old is she?
She's one and a half, a little older, and she has natural wooden perches plus a grated bridge below one of her perches that hangs from the ceiling of her cage because she's smol and has trouble getting up. She has one of the generic perches that you get at the store by her food bowl, again because she's small and has trouble getting to it. Then one that gets her up to the bridge. She's perfectly healthy just saw the vet a month ago, they think she's just tiny btw they don't think anything's wrong with her. Maybe hasn't had her growth spurt or something idk how that works in teenage birds.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
(I apologize if this is hard to read) I have a green cheeked conure that I may have accidentally conditioned her to stay at the bottom of her cage at night. My desk where I do schoolwork and play video games and such is near the bottom of her cage. Her bedtime (7:30) which she refuses to follow, is pretty strict and it's already dark where I am by that time. If I'm working or doing something she will stand in the corner closest to me and basically just watch me like a creep. I put up a barricade between us, of folders, and she's in complete darkness. The only noise she hears is me typing on my keyboard. Anyway, shes started to sleep in that corner normally now and it's making me incredibly nervous. When I wake up in the morning she's on her top perch (she usually sleeps there) and when I come back from classes she's up there as well. So she's literally just sleeping there. It's giving me so much anxiety because any bird owner knows that's a red flag. She was just at the Vet for her yearly checkup in August (last month), everything was fine she's very healthy. She's not around other birds and she has plenty of time out of her cage on weekends and when I'm home from classes. So I have no idea what she could be ill from. Her cage is practically idiot proof at this point and there's nothing for her to accidentally consume or hurt herself on. I'll obviously take her to a vet if needed, but I'm incredibly tight on money right now so I'm hesitant. Basically I'm a worried single bird mother that wants her bird to be okay. Any help or emotional support would be appreciated lol.
Update I've started putting her at the top of her cage and praising her for it when she relaxes up there. I also praise her for getting food and water. She slept up top last night and I'm super relieved. I think she just got used to sleeping in that corner lol. 8B7516DB-7B2D-4790-A732-9BF359C6489E.jpeg
(after drinking some pineapple juice, then bathing in it, as I'm deathly allergic to pineapple and trying to trick me into giving her a kiss)

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shes lovely

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I can tell she's super happy! Look at that smile!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
My GCC will usually go to the bottom of her cage and do a little yelling and wing flapping before climbing into her round cuddle hut to sleep each night. I am starting to think that trips to the bottom of the cage are fairly common. Once in her cuddle hut, she rocks herself to sleep. Pretty funny to watch!

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
She's refusing to sleep up top now. She's perfectly fine she'd just rather sleep in the corner. It is frustrating because that's going to make it harder to tell if she needs help or not but she's healthy as of now. She's beginning her teen hormonal years so it could be that. She's been super gross lately rubbing on me and putting her az in my face but I usually distract her with training or discourage her by placing her on her perch then turning my back to her for a minute or two then pick her up and repeat if she does it again. I don't know how to block off a bottom corner from her. And hopefully she doesn't get defensive of the area because then I genuinely need to find a way to keep her from being there. Having a teen daughter is hard work. She just does not listen like she used to she really needs a time out every so often. Hopefully this next year will go by quickly and maybe she'll calm the hell down. I'm not as much asking for advice as much as I am just venting about my problems but yeah, it's been a struggle. She's getting real sassy. 136CCDB6-0769-4286-8293-61630A3B5D68.jpeg
(here's her actively eating food off of my plate which she knows not to do and was promptly put in timeout after.)