• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC regurgitating for Cockatiel?

Danielle9711

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danielle
Good day all, last night my GCC who is 3 months old, regurgitated for my Cockatiel, when I saw what was about to happen I immediately separated them (being scared of weird breeding behaviour). I need to disclose that neither the GCC or Cockatiel has ever regurgitated for me or my boyfriend.

My question is whether this was merely the GCC's way of feeding its "nest mate", as I have previously read this is something that young birds do or whether this might be some weird breeding behaviour?

If breeding behaviour is the cause, how do I discourage this? I'm afraid of egg binding in cockatiels and want to discourage egg laying at all cost.

Sorry for the long post

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
To my thinking a three month old gcc has not reached pueberty yet and this wouldn't be breeding behavior

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
No advice here, since I'm a rank novice... but wow, can you house these guys together? I've read so much about birds injuring other birds I would be scared.
I think the regurgitating might be bonding behavior?
I found a cute vid of this GCC preening a cockatiel - it's so cool that they get along! Is this the norm, or a rarity, I wonder?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
No harm in it. It's just a bonding activity.

If they want to be friends or even mates, let them be. My male maximillian pionus has been regurgitating for my female red-bellied parrot for years, and she's never once even tried to lay an egg. Don't provide a nest box or anything that could be perceived as a nesting opportunity and you're really not at much higher risk of egg laying than you would be with a single female bird.

However, please do not cage them together. The GCC could easily hurt the cockatiel, and misunderstandings happen a lot in inter-species pairs. Those can escalate very fast in an enclosed space.

Last edited:

Danielle9711

Real Name
Danielle
Thank you so much for the replies.

The birds are caged separately but they do explore each other's cages and playstands during the day. I would never cage them together, sorry I should have emphasized this.

Danielle9711

Real Name
Danielle
Each bird has their own cage and playstand, the regurgitation occurred whilst being perched together on the GCCs playstand. I also need to disclose that they are not allowed to interact without supervision since I know a simple disagreement can quickly turn violent in multi-species flocks.

Thank you so much for the concern though, can never be too safe:)