• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Plucking or Molting?

wayment

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Abbi
Hi there! I purchased my green cheeked conure about a month ago. Not sure the age, but pretty sure he's under a year old. He's definetly somewhere between 5 - 8 months. His name is Pico, and we spend all day together. He comes everywhere with me and wants to be with me all the time. Recently, I've noticed some patches of down feathers on his chest. I've looked at his skin, and it looks normal. In the patches of grey down feathers, I see no pin feathers coming in. He has been loosing quite a lot of feathers lately, but no flight feathers. He's usually super loud and playful, but now he's quiet and likes to be by himself more. I give him bathes everyday. I live in Arizona, and it's starting to get hot here. He eats pellets from the brand Zupreem. He has a pretty big cage with lots of toys. There has been some changes lately tho. Getting him a new cage, getting new birds, having acrylic nails that he likes to bite, and obviously a change in weather. Is he plucking or molting? I was told by a lady at a bird store that he's molting, but I just want to make sure. Someone please help!!

Attachments

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
Im probably not the best person to respond, but can relate to the heat (Phoenix native). His attitude change is concerning I think. But adding new birds could effect that also. Has he been to the vet? Can you get him to one? Are you sure the new birds are healthy (could have brought something in with them).

Someone else more knowledgeable will be more help im sure, but those are the questions they may ask.

edit: probably not connected but do you give him fruit and veggies along with the pellets. As a new bird owner I thought they just packed everything the bird needed into the pellet easy peasy.... not the case.

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
Hi there! I purchased my green cheeked conure about a month ago. Not sure the age, but pretty sure he's under a year old. He's definetly somewhere between 5 - 8 months. His name is Pico, and we spend all day together. He comes everywhere with me and wants to be with me all the time. Recently, I've noticed some patches of down feathers on his chest. I've looked at his skin, and it looks normal. In the patches of grey down feathers, I see no pin feathers coming in. He has been loosing quite a lot of feathers lately, but no flight feathers. He's usually super loud and playful, but now he's quiet and likes to be by himself more. I give him bathes everyday. I live in Arizona, and it's starting to get hot here. He eats pellets from the brand Zupreem. He has a pretty big cage with lots of toys. There has been some changes lately tho. Getting him a new cage, getting new birds, having acrylic nails that he likes to bite, and obviously a change in weather. Is he plucking or molting? I was told by a lady at a bird store that he's molting, but I just want to make sure. Someone please help!!
First I would take him to the vet to discard any illness . I have a green cheek just like him and I wait long to take him to a certified avian vet and he is on medicine getting better now , anyways I would do that for , I think he might be molting but like how trevis726 I would check the others birds too. Maybe @Hankmacaw @Monica or @Mockinbirdiva can help you better with this questions.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks like moulting to me. When you brought home new birds where did you put them? And I'm not so sure I would let him chew on your nails.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Likely molting, as stated.... it's rare for birds under a year old to have feather destructive behavior.

Now as for the rest of the behavior.... as mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to see an avian vet to ensure he's healthy otherwise.