• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC or cockatiel

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
Sooo here I am with another post lol :D
I know I asked a similar question with budgies instead a couple days ago. But hear me out, I've always loved tiels and wanted one. My housemates however were not a fan of tiels (no idea why, they don't even know much about birds). And while obviously I will be the one taking care of the bird, they have some say in it too since they'll share the same space. I managed to convince them to potentially get a cockatiel too, so that option is in the game now too, fortunately.

As the title suggest, I am debating whether I should get a cockatiel or a green cheek conure. Again, I am aware they're very different birds and each bird is an individual. And based on the information I've gathered so far it doesn't get any easier too. Both of them have some pretty amazing cons when compared to one another. With conures, I love how playful, attached they can get to their owner. However, the nippy nature as well as being very active birds puts some doubt in my mind. While I am obviously more than willing to provide them with care, conures definitely sound pretty demanding and require a lot more commitment than a cockatiel (not saying that cockatiels don't require commitment, they all do!). And I am simply afraid that I won't be able to give them what they need very consistently as I have some busy days too.

As for cockatiels, I really love how they are generally described as chill, laid back birds that just like to be around you and chill with their owner. Hanging out on the laptop or doing homework while having a bird around me that doesn't get into trouble with how active it is sounds more like what I'm looking for in a bird to be honest.

That's not to say that I couldn't deal with an energetic conure though. Basically, as you can probably make out from this post,I truly feel stuck in making a decision between these birds. Any help and recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have one of my quakers because college roommates did not want to put up with parrot noise and stuff and previous owner felt the situation was getting risky for her. In addition to school, part time nob, girlfriend, and activities...it was a terrible time for him to have a parrot.

I've read posts of room mates spraying a burd with lysol, of putting them out on a freezing balcony, and more.......in both of those the burds died

This may not be the time for you to get a parrot. Especially if current roommates are needing convincing! Parrots can cause a lot if drama with roommates, family, significant others....

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
Sooo here I am with another post lol :D
I know I asked a similar question with budgies instead a couple days ago. But hear me out, I've always loved tiels and wanted one. My housemates however were not a fan of tiels (no idea why, they don't even know much about birds). And while obviously I will be the one taking care of the bird, they have some say in it too since they'll share the same space. I managed to convince them to potentially get a cockatiel too, so that option is in the game now too, fortunately.

As the title suggest, I am debating whether I should get a cockatiel or a green cheek conure. Again, I am aware they're very different birds and each bird is an individual. And based on the information I've gathered so far it doesn't get any easier too. Both of them have some pretty amazing cons when compared to one another. With conures, I love how playful, attached they can get to their owner. However, the nippy nature as well as being very active birds puts some doubt in my mind. While I am obviously more than willing to provide them with care, conures definitely sound pretty demanding and require a lot more commitment than a cockatiel (not saying that cockatiels don't require commitment, they all do!). And I am simply afraid that I won't be able to give them what they need very consistently as I have some busy days too.

As for cockatiels, I really love how they are generally described as chill, laid back birds that just like to be around you and chill with their owner. Hanging out on the laptop or doing homework while having a bird around me that doesn't get into trouble with how active it is sounds more like what I'm looking for in a bird to be honest.

That's not to say that I couldn't deal with an energetic conure though. Basically, as you can probably make out from this post,I truly feel stuck in making a decision between these birds. Any help and recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
I dont know much about GCC's but i know that cockatiels are so snuggly and cuddly

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
Fair point, although I should clarify that when saying 'housemates' I'm not talking about roommates in that sense. I was talking about my family :) And don't get me wrong, although I said that they don't know much about birds, they do love animals in general. We've had budgies before and none of those incidents ever happened, so that is not something I need to worry about. And the only reason they needed convincing to get a cockatiel is because, as mentioned before, they just aren't a fan when compared to other parrots with no apparent reason.