• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Napping a lot but no other signs of illness?

Sunheart07

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Riley
So I wanted to come here and get everyone else's opinions. I've had a few birds, but none have lasted long due to unfortunate reasons, so I'm still very new and over cautious. My Green Cheeked Conure shows no other signs of illness, he plays occasionally, eats just fine, drinks just fine but he is napping every single day despite getting 14 hours of sleep!
If this also helps, he is just finishing up one of his molts so I'm unsure if that's the reason?
He eats fresh chop and veggie pellets each day, only gets seeds when training. Fresh water every few hours as well.

I have taken him to the vet, they say they don't see anything wrong which reassures me a bit but I don't know if I should still be worried for the napping.
Please help!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcome2:
Hi ! Glad you joined us!

Fantastic that you established yourself with your veterinarian s d had a check up and raised concerns with them!

I don't know how many naps or how much time is spent napping?

But burds will take a nap. Mine take a late morning nap. And maybe a brief nap before late afternoon dinner. Or if I've given thrm a good cuddle they might do a big preen and take a few minutes nap.

Some things that help us pick up on more worrisome napping. If they seem like eyes want to close after breif activity. If they seem to get weak after flying. Taking several naps. Its hard when you are just getting to know burds and your bird. And it can be a fine line. Its good that you are aware and paying attention.

Its really hard to know what you are observing.

Sounds like you are feeding a great diet. I understand wanting to be very careful. Especially if you have lost burds before.

Weight watching is a helpful tool with birds. As often they will loose weight with health issues. A digital kitchen scale set to grams works great. At this point mine just let me pick thrm up and set them on scale . But if you are still building trust. You might put a verse bowl with some seeds on the scale sbd zero it out, then have them step to thst abd snack while you get Weight. Any dish thst won't tip is sturdy with a thicker lip works well. Weigh in the morning after first poop. I try my best do weekly.. you are looking for trends. Up or down by a gam or 2 is normal fir your size a gcc. But a 5 gram drop would be concerning for a gcc. Usually we talk body mass % so its even fir different sizes birds. A 5-10% body mass loss would have me getting a vet appointment. As would any symptoms or signs of being off other than Weight and even if wright was fine. More than 10% I'd be trying for same day or next day appointment with or without other symptoms.

Weight is just one if our tools. But it is important to know yours normal weight. Picking up illness early by weight-loss alone has very much helped me keep mine healthy

Sunheart07

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Riley
:welcome2:
Hi ! Glad you joined us!

Fantastic that you established yourself with your veterinarian s d had a check up and raised concerns with them!

I don't know how many naps or how much time is spent napping?

But burds will take a nap. Mine take a late morning nap. And maybe a brief nap before late afternoon dinner. Or if I've given thrm a good cuddle they might do a big preen and take a few minutes nap.

Some things that help us pick up on more worrisome napping. If they seem like eyes want to close after breif activity. If they seem to get weak after flying. Taking several naps. Its hard when you are just getting to know burds and your bird. And it can be a fine line. Its good that you are aware and paying attention.

Its really hard to know what you are observing.

Sounds like you are feeding a great diet. I understand wanting to be very careful. Especially if you have lost burds before.

Weight watching is a helpful tool with birds. As often they will loose weight with health issues. A digital kitchen scale set to grams works great. At this point mine just let me pick thrm up and set them on scale . But if you are still building trust. You might put a verse bowl with some seeds on the scale sbd zero it out, then have them step to thst abd snack while you get Weight. Any dish thst won't tip is sturdy with a thicker lip works well. Weigh in the morning after first poop. I try my best do weekly.. you are looking for trends. Up or down by a gam or 2 is normal fir your size a gcc. But a 5 gram drop would be concerning for a gcc. Usually we talk body mass % so its even fir different sizes birds. A 5-10% body mass loss would have me getting a vet appointment. As would any symptoms or signs of being off other than Weight and even if wright was fine. More than 10% I'd be trying for same day or next day appointment with or without other symptoms.

Weight is just one if our tools. But it is important to know yours normal weight. Picking up illness early by weight-loss alone has very much helped me keep mine healthy
Hi! Yes my GCC hasn't lost too much weight either, usually stays around 73-75 g. However he mostly naps in the morning despite little activity and closer to the night time so perhaps he's just still sleepy after waking up or getting ready for bed? Unsure.

After making this post I have been observing him and he is getting into michief left and right without napping so I'm a bit more at ease.

I will definitely be watching the weight from now on! Thank you very much for the tip!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
We definitely want to see pictures of your new baby! Just saying

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Gorgeous and looking good! Love those yellow scallops on chest those are amazing!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Definitely has maroon belly colors. Dark red above the nares? But the green is just a wee bit off as is the bib. I’d lean towards hybrid. Hoping you get that lovely maroon belly personality. Beautiful baby!

here is Maks

180BE81B-40FA-4CB6-B3BE-5E6AEF5938D2.jpeg
D6642982-222A-4EE3-B594-818BE97968CD.jpeg