• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC loosing grey feathers

Popy

Moving in
My 3 month old green cheek is loosing the grey feathers close to the skin. I could see him plucking it or just sheds when he flies. He is not shedding any of the green feathers. Is it normal that it sheds all baby feather? Will it get green feathers instead?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The grey feathers are the downy feathers, my guys all usually drop a fair handful of them before they drop the pretty outer feathers.

Are you seeing him pluck the downy feathers? 3 months sounds a little young to be molting but I am not positive. @Mockinbirdiva should be able to help with what age they normally have their first molt.

The downy feathers will always be a grey or whitish colour.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Is it just a few here and there or a great quantity? At three months there shouldn’t be a beginning of molting. Even adult birds keep downy feathers under the exterior feathers. Could there be an irritant causing your bird to pluck? Mites? What is the diet and cage set up like. Any other pets in the home that could cause some nervous behaviors?

Popy

Moving in
Not really a few, can see around 10 of them flying around which is a lot for this small creature. I could see him plucking those while grooming. No other pets at home. Cage is big enough for him, but he is mostly outside during the day. And there is another concern that he doesnt poop inside his cage. Holds it till you take him outside, i worry it will affect his health as he holds it for long time while inside the cage and then poops a big chunk when he is out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you show us a photo of his chest? What about photos of the feathers that came out?

Often when going through a molt it can look like they are plucking the feathers out, but really they are picking out feathers that are hanging on by a thread. They have thousands of feathers and in a big molt they may lose a dozen a day. It looks like a lot for sure!

The biggest thing is that plucking will leave bald spots where molting won't, and plucked feathers will have a bit of material at the base, or looked snipped; a molted feather will look clean.

Babies are not prone to plucking without a medical reason, so my hunch is its molting. If its not molting, a checkup is needed.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've got fluffier feathers all over right now.

Is there a certain spot he seems to be focusing on?

Not sure what to advise on not pooping in cage..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not really a few, can see around 10 of them flying around which is a lot for this small creature. I could see him plucking those while grooming. No other pets at home. Cage is big enough for him, but he is mostly outside during the day. And there is another concern that he doesnt poop inside his cage. Holds it till you take him outside, i worry it will affect his health as he holds it for long time while inside the cage and then poops a big chunk when he is out.
Just saw the poop part! My green cheek did the same thing when she was young. What helped us was to have a night cage that was separate from the day cage. In the wild they won't poop in their nest, and for your young bird especially, the cage is nest/home. So having a small sleep cage and then transferring to a larger day cage meant she still held her poop over night, but she did end up pooping inside the day cage shortly after making the transition :)

Popy

Moving in
Can you show us a photo of his chest? What about photos of the feathers that came out?

Often when going through a molt it can look like they are plucking the feathers out, but really they are picking out feathers that are hanging on by a thread. They have thousands of feathers and in a big molt they may lose a dozen a day. It looks like a lot for sure!

The biggest thing is that plucking will leave bald spots where molting won't, and plucked feathers will have a bit of material at the base, or looked snipped; a molted feather will look clean.

Babies are not prone to plucking without a medical reason, so my hunch is its molting. If its not molting, a checkup is needed.
Not at home now. Will share the pictures later. There are no bald spots as such. He looks all tje same except the feathers are flying around while cleaning the place. Have to check the base of those once.

Popy

Moving in
Just saw the poop part! My green cheek did the same thing when she was young. What helped us was to have a night cage that was separate from the day cage. In the wild they won't poop in their nest, and for your young bird especially, the cage is nest/home. So having a small sleep cage and then transferring to a larger day cage meant she still held her poop over night, but she did end up pooping inside the day cage shortly after making the transition :)
Have to try something similar. I am worried holding it for long might cause some health issues

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When you say the cage is big enough for him can I ask what size it is?