• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC doesn't make noise?!

parsaxyz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
parsa
Hello all

I realize that my title sounds extremely alarming (pun intended) BUT that's not the case..entirely

I have a GCC and I've had him for a week now and quite honestly he hasn't made any screams like Conure's normally do, ive read up on GCC and know that they're the quiet ones, but still I expected SOME screams if anything.. truth be told I actually like a noisy bird (will probably regret this once he starts)

As for a little more info, the reason I'm not scared is because I've heard him scream, everytime I go on YouTube and play conure screams he instantly replies and boy has he got a set of lungs hahaha

All Ive heard from him, that I can count on to hear, is a low "quacking" grunting noise at times, I dont know what it means so if anyone could tell me that'd be great

Anyway, is my parrot shy? Or sick? Have any of you had any parrots that were quiet at first but started later? Or is he generally a quiet one? Any feedback would be great
Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. If you've only had him for a week, he is probably still settling in and adjusting to his surroundings. Give him time. :)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
When I got my gcc she was very quiet at first except for alarm call when cats came on the porch. When she did start making noise she learned to say hello and until she learned other words hello was mostly her only noise . Now she answers outside birds but mostly talks. Her alarm sound has evolved into a very loud wha cha DOIN !!! Lol

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its perfectly normal for a bird in a new environment to be on the quiet side. I have an English Budgie that is quiet also and he has been with me under two weeks now. When I played parakeet sounds from YT he went crazy and chirped away. So now when I play the sound of his chirps he really gets active and sings. No worry he will sing to you.

I must say this is the first post I have seen on a bird forum where the concern was of a bird that was quiet. Its refreshing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wait until he's more comfortable ;)

parsaxyz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
parsa
Thankyou for all your replies!! I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier! This website wasn't working well it doesn't load

Those are great advices! And yea hahaha I like my birds to be noisy, they're more fun hahaha

parsaxyz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
parsa
You guys wouldn't believe it, the VERY next day he started screeching I think he knows what I'm thinking hahaha

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great pics :)

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
That's pretty much all I hear from Cooper is the low grunts and quacking.
Unless I leave the room, or play music, or he hears the beeps from the alarm system when someone opens the front door.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
The one I adopted and have since Saturday is very very quiet, haven't even heard an alarm sound yet. I was thinking the same thing (be careful what you wish for) .

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I was going to say give it time, he will come around but I see he has already reassured you that he knows how to scream haha. It took my guys several weeks to let out a good scream.