• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Development Stages

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Poppy turned 1 last month and I feel like we are in a very annoying phase. She is biting a lot more than she used to (not always aggressively, but sometimes) and is much less interested in cuddling. She wants to wrestle constantly. When she's on shoulders, she often goes to bite ears or necks incessantly when she didn't do that before. Feel free to ask for specific scenarios if you need more insight.

I'm not sure what may have caused this behavior change, so I wanted to ask about GCC development stages. Are we just in a "terrible twos" sort of situation? I feel like the behavior change happened out of the blue, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating.

The only other thing I can think of that may be responsible for her moodiness is sickness. I've been trying to treat a respiratory sniffling and wheezing problem for over a month now and can't figure out the cause. We are in California for the next few weeks where she will not be in the same house as the cockatiels, so I'm going to see if the absence of them lessens the irritation. But that's my only other idea.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
The vet has suggested an x-ray to take a look at her sinuses and lungs. It's very expensive though. Like, almost an entire paycheck expensive. I want to see if being away from the cockatiels helps before I send her in for that procedure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes around 12 to 18 months and lasting a year or two they do through the teenager phase. They are just like a human teen rebelling against their parents and trying to figure out what kind of bird they are going to be.

It's awful! :lol:

I went through it with a quaker and a green cheek and they are the reason I say I'll never have a baby bird again :p

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh yes around 12 to 18 months and lasting a year or two they do through the teenager phase. They are just like a human teen rebelling against their parents and trying to figure out what kind of bird they are going to be.

I went through it with a quaker and a green cheek and they are the reason I say I'll never have a baby bird again :p
oh @Mizzely you are just full of great news!! :wacky: Bailey just turned 5 months this week and can be bitey sometimes, and always wants to wrestle, but it’s for fun. I knew they went through the terrible twos, but thought it was for a month or two like the parrotlets, but a year or two?!!

my goodness hope we survive that!! :lol:Any advice on how to protect our fingers? :D

elitys

Real Name
Elise

Do things improve after this period? Because if she's gonna act like this forever, I'm going to lose it. Lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do things improve after this period? Because if she's gonna act like this forever, I'm going to lose it. Lol.
Yes it does :) Your relationship may change though. Koopa my GCC turned more into an independent friend who I played games with and danced with instead of cuddling with.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Conures do seem to go thru a nippy teen phase 8 mo etc as they grow up they want less baby cuddling. This might just take time & understanding until they mellow out. Refrain from the shoulder where they can bite ears & eyes until she becomes more stable.

Hopefully getting her away form the tiels helps the breathing issues.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My conure will be 2 in February, so I feel your pain! I probably looked pretty crazy for awhile as I constantly had red marks on my neck from him! I thought he had gone through puberty but now I think it might be happening now... He's had a feather chewing issue and in the past month it got way worse. We went to the vet and he (vet) thinks its hormonal and so we're trying full spectrum lighting along with some other things for other reasons. He's always been a very cuddly bird but right now I worry about what that may mean to him (me as his mate and frustration) so I've been encouraging him to be more independent and I'm being less hands on with him. And lots of foraging! I'm determined he and my lovebird will be friends, and they're doing pretty well but my conure has been soooo jealous!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh and I have had the misfortune to realize he hates bottles! Pill bottles, pop bottles, jars of lotion, all kinds of containers with lids make him see red! And if he's on me and I pick one of those items up.... He bites! hard! I really do not understand it all, but I try to remember so as to avoid it. Its like he just snaps and bites the first thing in sight! And does that thing where they clamp down and twist..... Ouch!