• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC biting very hard?

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
I have a two year old GCC. Ever since we've got her, she's been biting so hard that she'll draw blood every time, and rip out pieces of skin. She is now calming down after a year of having her but she'll still bite VERY hard sometimes. Why?

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Was she tame when you got her? Sometimes people don't read the signs that their bird doesn't like something theyre doing. If they bite softly and don't get a result (you quit doing what she doesn't like) they will bite harder until they get results. If this keeps happening they will start to bite hard every time . You said she is two and you've had her a year, do you think she learned to bite hard the year befor you got her , or did this habit start after you got her ? It sounds like maybe someone didn't listen to her ,maybe rushed trying to tame her, and she learned to bite hard to get her point across

Last edited:

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
We got her from a PetSmart (I know, adopt don't shop...) and she was very aggressive when we got her. Im suspecting she was mistreated. She is very strongly bonded to me and will rarely bite me, but if anyone approaches me while she's out of her cage, she'll lunge at them and go crazy biting and scratching. She is most used to me, my sister, and my mom,but she'll bite anyone else.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
We got her from a PetSmart (I know, adopt don't shop...) and she was very aggressive when we got her. Im suspecting she was mistreated. She is very strongly bonded to me and will rarely bite me, but if anyone approaches me while she's out of her cage, she'll lunge at them and go crazy biting and scratching. She is most used to me, my sister, and my mom,but she'll bite anyone else.
We've also spent 5 months trying to get her used to a flight harness because she loves outside, but her wing feathers grew back in and she can fly, so I don't want her flying away. Anyway, she's still absolutely terrified of the harness.She'll run from it, fly away, attack it, or just hide.