• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC behaviour after maturation

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
I've been reading up and found out that conures can turn into a whole other bird when they reach adulthood. I understand that they will be a lot more cuddly when they're younger since they're technically still babies. But the idea of losing a close bond after spending a year or two on building sounds pretty horrifying I must say. What are your experiences with it? Did you notice major differences in the personality of your conure after it grew out of puberty? I'd like to know about this and if it's possible to avoid it.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hi!
My gcc girl is 10 years old! She has never stopped being my cuddling girl! I didn't notice any changes as she has aged through the years.

The onky change is when she turned 4 years old she stsrted talking! She can say several phrases and words! Like What's up little bird? And I love you! She stsrted saying happy birthday girl and I hsve no idea from where she picked thst up. She just learned to say baby this week!

My first gcc lived to.17 years. She was the sweetest girl her whole life! No changes in temperament. She only Said her name " Burt the Burd" I thought she was a boy when I first got her.

Ta-dah still says Burts name from time to time.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don’t have a conure, but from what I’ve read/heard they don’t change much compared to most other species - they stay the same goofy clowns they were to begin with :swoon:

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
I don’t have a conure, but from what I’ve read/heard they don’t change much compared to most other species - they stay the same goofy clowns they were to begin with :swoon:
Interesting, I in fact read that it's pretty common for them through changes haha. In some cases they can even choose to distance themselves from their human companions which is especially what concerns me.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Interesting, I in fact read that it's pretty common for them through changes haha. In some cases they can even choose to distance themselves from their human companions which is especially what concerns me.
I totally understand the concern. I’d dealt with it with my cockatiel, who I’d finished hand feeding and weaned - he went from being my baby to being my partners bird, which was not thrilling for me :roflmao: His personality hasn’t changed though. He’s just as affectionate as ever with us both, I just don’t exist once he walks into the room.

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
I totally understand the concern. I’d dealt with it with my cockatiel, who I’d finished hand feeding and weaned - he went from being my baby to being my partners bird, which was not thrilling for me :roflmao: His personality hasn’t changed though. He’s just as affectionate as ever with us both, I just don’t exist once he walks into the room.
Woah really? That’s actually quite funny, because a cockatiel and the GCC are the exact 2 birds I can’t decide between getting! Hahaha. And I always thought that tiels were more consistent with being a companion, so that’s good to know.

Also maybe I should have clarified that in my post, but that is the sort of ‘change’ I was talking about. I get that they might not change too much in terms of personality, but more as in the time they spend around you and don’t want too much interaction as they did when they were younger.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Again my girls both got/get hand on cuddling every day. She loves to be a part of art projects. And often sits on my shoulder as I post. But also spends time doing her own thing.
20230124_154206.jpg
20230122_170414.jpg

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Woah really? That’s actually quite funny, because a cockatiel and the GCC are the exact 2 birds I can’t decide between getting! Hahaha. And I always thought that tiels were more consistent with being a companion, so that’s good to know.

Also maybe I should have clarified that in my post, but that is the sort of ‘change’ I was talking about. I get that they might not change too much in terms of personality, but more as in the time they spend around you and don’t want too much interaction as they did when they were younger.
I will say, think about what future birds you want as well when considering what bird you want now!

When I got Tteok, I didn’t know certain species couldn’t be around the dust produced by cockatiels - so once I got him, I couldn’t have any conure species, any macaw species, caiques… any “new world” species. Getting him set my path to sticking with old world species - So all the dust bunnies of the world, lol. I don’t mind so much, because I love him and it allowed me to get Isadora (and I’ve always known I wanted a cockatoo), but it is something I didn’t know about until I learned it on this forum.

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
My boy is pushing 7 and still very cuddly! I just say they get a bit more relaxed once they get out of their terrible twos and threes :)