• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Behavior Change (aggression, excessive regurgitation, etcetera)

Moony

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Monique
This is a bit of a long post; sorry in advance!

I've had my green-cheeked conure (oh so creatively named Bird -- there's a story behind that) since he was a few months old. We've always had a really strong bond. I lived with my mom and had a friend who practically lived with us as well, and Bird loved them, but he was an absolute mama's girl and we were closest. He never bit me hard -- only little nips if he was playing or unhappy about something. He never screamed. He used me like a jungle gym, cuddled with me, danced with me, sang with me, fell asleep on me, made all kinds of happy bird noises when we were together, etcetera.

A few years ago my mom died. Immediately after our landlord sold the house, so I had to move, and I know that can be jarring to a parrot. I began to date someone, another jarring thing, and a year later I had to move again (we now live with my boyfriend, and have for over three years). I was nineteen when my mom passed and had been fairly sheltered, so things were chaotic until I got the hang of taking care of myself. Yet another jarring situation, as Bird had been on a strict schedule before (which he much preferred to having no schedule at all).

That's all changed. He's back on a schedule, his life (and my life) is steady, I've been able to buy him new toys to play with, treats, and the nicer food he loved to eat before I was on a really tight budget. He's still getting used to having a schedule, though it seems to be helping him (he definitely isn't a huge fan of the times he's in his cage - the cage is enormous, I wanted to make sure he had lots of room when I got him - but he's also much happier then he used to be even when he's in there; there's less yelling, no more feather chewing, all that).

The only thing is that now he seems to hate me. He and my boyfriend have never been particularly close, but suddenly my boyfriend is the sole person he wants to be with. Ever. My boyfriend doesn't get to spend much time with him in general, as he's busier than I am, but when Bird is with me he screams, bites, misbehaves, and refuses to be on me for more than two minutes. If Bird knows my boyfriend is home and in a different room he screams and squats at the door until my boyfriend comes in to pay attention to him. If my boyfriend is in the room with us Bird climbs on him, preens him, cuddles him, makes his happy noises, and is entirely content. When I try to hold him at this time, he bites me and makes his way back to my boyfriend.

Bird has also been regurgitating excessively and trying to mate with us. We thought it may have been one of the smaller cages he's in occasionally (it had lots of chewed up newspaper at the bottom and was dark, which we learned were things that can trigger hormones in parrots), so we no longer use it. We gently discourage/distract him when he displays mating behavior (we were told that rejecting him outright can damage his relationship with us), but it has continued well beyond mating season.

I'm confused, worried, and honestly pretty hurt. I'm afraid that he's sick, and/or the last few years have irreparably ruined the love he had for me. Just... does anybody have any advice? Any information? Have I permanently destroyed what we had, and would it be better for him mentally/emotionally to be with my boyfriend instead of me? I just want Bird to be happy, even if it means I have to keep my distance from him so he can spend time with the person he likes.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, you've got a few things going on w/ Bird. 1st, he's hormonal hence the mating dance w/ you both + the added regurigitation. You may also have a bit of puberty going on but he seems older then when I remember this happening w/ a conure.

@Annie's Mommie
@DoubleTake
@Leih
@Zara

As for the turn to your boyfriend I've read this time & time again. I can only imagine how painful this can be. I'd be lost w/out Buddy's attention & affection. I hate to say it but I'm not sure that much can be done here. If you have an Avian vet that you take Bird to regularly. Sometimes there are behavioral things that can be modified to make things smooth out a wee bit. Can't hurt to give the office a call & ask.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Sounds like Bird is at least a few years old, so he should be past his puberty stage. I've heard about birds choosing 1 person, I'm sorry to hear that he's not chosen you! I'd be beside myself! Does your bf do anything that Bird may interpret as an "advance"? It sounds like you've had a good relationship so I highly doubt you've irreparably damaged your relationship. I assume Bird is a single bird? You could get him a friend.... Who is also a friend for you. This is how we all end up with multiple birds! @webchirp has tons of conure experience.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Wow, my heart breaks for you. We have four conures. Jesse was always my hubby's bird. A while back he bonded with our only female, Hope. Jesse is 3, Hope is one. Now Jesse has no use for my hubby, and will bite him, although not like he used to bite me. I have scars. I know my hubby feels left out as, Faith, Hope's brother, favors me. And Beau, who is 10, just joined the flock at Christmas snd is only shoulder friendly with me, no hands yet.
I wish I had some great insight to share with you. All I can say is conures are fickled little guys. Hard to figute them out, so I just love them. I wish you the best, Sweetie! (And if you need a substitute Mom, I am available. Although I think I am more a grandma's age to you. But that's okay, neither of my kids gave me grandchildren.)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Breathe...cheekies are little turds. I'm sorry he's aligned himself with the boyfriend. I personally would get a vet checkup to make sure it isn't anything correctable. Keep doing your normal schedule and if he doesn't want to sit with you, leave him be. It's hard but right now you really can't count on things because of those darn hormones. Make sure you give all the treats and such as if you were trying to win him over. One day at a time while riding the evil hormone train.

:sadhug2:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Whenever your BF isn't around , you can maybe try to get him to engage with you by offering his favorite treats, his favorite toys (like when i stuff a pellet inside of a straw my tiel perks up) , or even making a new toy for him and letting him watch you make it very very slowly ......... til he wants nothing to do but be near you to play with the toy! You could also try clipping toys to your shirt ? ;D I actually did that when my tiel was a baby (2-4 months old)
because all she wanted to do was play and I wanted her to hang out with me sometimes too, so i would clip a toy to my shirt for awhile. Become his personal playground ;) Lol. When your bf is with your birb, don't try to force him to come to you. Also , tell your bf not to give him his favorite treats , let him save that for your bonding time ;)
I honestly don't know if this is good advice or not but im sure it cannot hurt to try.

Last edited: