• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC’s feathers are ragged and dull

Ayesha

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Abdul Salim
Hi everyone!
My green cheeked conure ‘Blippi’ (named lovingly by my little nephew) has lately had some issues with his feathers. His feathers seem a bit ragged and dull. I have no idea why. Please send help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you share a photo?

How often does your bird bathe?
How long since last molt?
What is your birds diet like?

Ayesha

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Abdul Salim
Can you share a photo?

How often does your bird bathe?
How long since last molt?
What is your birds diet like?
Hi! Thank you for responding!
He hates it when we bathe him so I try to do it as less as I can. Maybe once every week or every weak and a half. But he bathes by himself whenever he wants to.

He is currently molting. we have only had him for about a year and since then this is his second molt.

He eats a mixture of seeds (but he mostly eats sunflower seeds. Won’t eat any smaller varieties) and fruits.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bathing by himself is fine :)

Seeds do not offer all the nutrients a bird needs, which can delay molting, as the body doesn't have enough nutrients to make new feathers.

Does he have a hut or toy he sleeps or plays in or under? Or roll around on his back to play? That's what his feather condition looks like to me, is from roughing about. Smaller cages can also create the ragged feathers of the tail.

Ayesha

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Abdul Salim
Bathing by himself is fine :)

Seeds do not offer all the nutrients a bird needs, which can delay molting, as the body doesn't have enough nutrients to make new feathers.

Does he have a hut or toy he sleeps or plays in or under? Or roll around on his back to play? That's what his feather condition looks like to me, is from roughing about. Smaller cages can also create the ragged feathers of the tail.
Thank you so much!
He used to sleep in a little hut up until a few weeks ago. Now he sleeps in his cage. His cage is pretty large for his size. But I’m worried that he might be picking at his own feathers. He also seems a little depressed. I’m wondering if we should get him a pair?

Ayesha

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Abdul Salim
also what would you recommend that I feed him? I feed him apples and other fruits frequently. Should I give them daily?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The generally acceptable diet for a parrot consists of; a good pellet, vegetables (lots), very few fruits and a few healthy treats. He should only get sunflower seed as an occasional treat and he doesn't need seeds at all. His diet is most likely the main culprit causing his bad feather condition.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
also what would you recommend that I feed him? I feed him apples and other fruits frequently. Should I give them daily?
Pellets :) with veggies being the next main part. Seeds, fruit, and nuts should be in treat quantity, making up no more than 10% of the diet.

Thank you so much!
He used to sleep in a little hut up until a few weeks ago. Now he sleeps in his cage. His cage is pretty large for his size. But I’m worried that he might be picking at his own feathers. He also seems a little depressed. I’m wondering if we should get him a pair?
My green cheek used to sleep in a hut too and had the exact same feather wear so that's why I asked :) it's very likely from that!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi! Thank you for responding!
He hates it when we bathe him so I try to do it as less as I can. Maybe once every week or every weak and a half. But he bathes by himself whenever he wants to.

He is currently molting. we have only had him for about a year and since then this is his second molt.

He eats a mixture of seeds (but he mostly eats sunflower seeds. Won’t eat any smaller varieties) and fruits.
You should let him bathe on his own- I didn’t mean for you to actually bathe him, I just meant for you to make sure he has the chance and ability to bathe whenever he chooses.

Ayesha

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Abdul Salim
The generally acceptable diet for a parrot consists of; a good pellet, vegetables (lots), very few fruits and a few healthy treats. He should only get sunflower seed as an occasional treat and he doesn't need seeds at all. His diet is most likely the main culprit causing his bad feather condition.
Ohhh!! Okay I will make changes and update you! What kind of vegetables should he be having?

Ayesha

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Abdul Salim
Pellets :) with veggies being the next main part. Seeds, fruit, and nuts should be in treat quantity, making up no more than 10% of the diet.

My green cheek used to sleep in a hut too and had the exact same feather wear so that's why I asked :) it's very likely from that!
Thank you so much!! You guys are so nice!❤

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhh!! Okay I will make changes and update you! What kind of vegetables should he be having?
My green cheeks get a selection of the following - bell peppers,carrots,chillis,brocolli,courgette,cucumber,cauliflower,squashes,sweetcorn,sugersnap peas,mange tout,raddish,spinnach.