• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Galah cockatoo

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi just have a simple question if I was to ever get a galah in the future as I am considering adding one to the flock in the near future. I have done all the research about the care requirements and diet for a long time know. All I'm wondering is how does someone balance work life with spending time with a galah cockatoo I understand they are very sociable. When I will be at work I would keep it in the bird room so that it doesnt feel lonely and give it lots of toys. I was just wondering how long can I leave one alone without it getting stressed I would get someone in the house to check on it and interact with it throughout the say when I'm not there.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.:gal2:

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
Hi just have a simple question if I was to ever get a galah in the future as I am considering adding one to the flock in the near future. I have done all the research about the care requirements and diet for a long time know. All I'm wondering is how does someone balance work life with spending time with a galah cockatoo I understand they are very sociable. When I will be at work I would keep it in the bird room so that it doesnt feel lonely and give it lots of toys. I was just wondering how long can I leave one alone without it getting stressed I would get someone in the house to check on it and interact with it throughout the say when I'm not there.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.:gal2:
How many hours a day are you gone? I’m lucky enough to work from home so my G2 and Quaker aren’t home alone to much.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Cockatoos are needy, noisy, messy, silly children. There really is no “set” amount of time to spend because a bird is 24/7/365 work, love and labor.

The best thing you can do is establish a routine. Don’t spend 8+ hours with the bird when you first get it and then when you go back to work only spend 4+ it isn’t fair to give the bird those expectations

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know of quite a few people with Galahs and none of them are lucky enough to not have to work.......quality time, great care (food, cage, toys/enrichment) and routine is what seems to matter the most.

Mantis64

Thanks for the responses I was just wondering as I have heard that when they get stressed they start to pluck thier feathers. But I'm sure that if I am to provide enrichment than this shouldn't be a problem. Also if I was to keep the galah in a bird room would this help or not, I guess it's another thing for the galah cockatoo to get entertained from.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
like said above, most of us have to work and leave our birds alone for 8 hours. Including the cockatoo’s :)
make sure the bird has plenty of interesting things (and toys) to do, and spend a minimum amount of quality time each day, and you will be set :)

as long as the bird likes to chew and explore (and post parrots do) you have a good chance of keeping boredom away, and thus the plucking. And a set routine helps the bird know what will happen next, nd thus limit the stress. Some birds are very flexible and cope well with difference each day, but a lot of parrots really prefer some routine.

Also, you could play the radio while your gone. Find a channel with lots of chatter between the songs, it will give your bird something to focus on, and listen to. He might even pick up a few words ;-)

Mantis64

Ok thanks everyone very useful information.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a goffin and am gone 9-10 hours a day. It's not ideal but he does okay. Routine is essential for him. And he also spends his day in a room with other birds. He's really not overly interested in them but I do think being around them makes him more calm.