• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Galah Cockatoo Molt / Bald Spots Under Feathers

Lyco1983

Meeting neighbors
Hello. Our Galah Cockatoo is approximately two years old, and going through a molt. We have been giving him spray bottle baths at least every other day for the last month or so. We are noticing that he is developing some bald spots under both wings, near the armpit area, and that it is symmetrical on both sides. He has never exhibited signs of distress, plucking etc, and recently had a full panel of tests completed for his annual avian vet visit that came back healthy.

Is it normal for a Galah to develop these "arm pit" bald spots during a molt, or is this a potential sign of something else? I'd estimate that the areas are approximately the size of a nickel, less than the diameter of a quarter.

Thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you share some pics? They are all naturally a little thinner on feathers in the wing pit area so without seeing what you are seeing it is hard to say if it is normal.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some thin areas under the wings is normal. I agree it looks a little more bald than I am used to seeing, however, if it is symmetrical it could be normal.

My Jardine's "armpits" for comparison
armpits.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are a bit more bare than I was expecting but I agree with Shawna that they maybe could be normal for your guy with them being so even. Could be a crazy molt if this amount of bare skin is just new but I can’t say for sure- I’d definitely keep an eye on it to see if they fill back in a bit more.
Has the vet seen these wing pits or these photos?