• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Galah cockatoo dust

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I was just wondering how bad is the dust from a galah cockatoo and will it affect me if I dont have allergies.
Also apart from an air fliter what other ways are effective at cleaning the dust from them and is the dust always falling off them or only when they preen. I dont currently own one but have done extensive research and love the way galahs can be, but I am aware all birds can be different. I have never owned a dusty bird before so not sure how bad it is.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a goffin, not a galah and 2 cockatiels. I really find the dust manageable. If you dust/vacuum regularly. And clean their cage and give them baths, I think it's fine. Plus, a good air purifier is a good idea too.

Mantis64

I have a goffin, not a galah and 2 cockatiels. I really find the dust manageable. If you dust/vacuum regularly. And clean their cage and give them baths, I think it's fine. Plus, a good air purifier is a good idea too.
Hi how long have you had your birds and has it had any effect on your health. Also is the dust constantly falling off them or only when they preen. Thanks

Mantis64

Anyone whose ever owned a galah cockatoo I need your experience to help me. Does the dust from a cockatoo get everywhere in the house even if the cockatoo is kept in the bird room can the dust be contained to one area and how bad is it in general. I haven't got a galah as of yet but plan of getting one in the next 5 years and have done research and love everything about the bird the only thing that puts me off is the dust. Also I have no allergies to birds but can it affect my health in any other way. Thanks in advance.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't have any cockatoo companions other than cockatiels which are much smaller. I've held a couple of friend's white 'toos and any dark clothing ended up looking like I'd spilled talcum all over my front. With just my flock, which also includes Quakers, green cheek conures, a sun conure and a homing pigeon I have a large Austin air filter in the bird room as well as a couple of smaller filters with a Rabbit Air in our master bedroom which is on the other side of the house.

Maybe @JLcribber @Macawnutz @zoo mom could give you more input, especially zoo mom since I believe she has a Galah.

I'd also check AA and see if there's a write-up The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about a Galah. Check out the Cockatoo forum and do a search on cockatoo dust.

Mantis64

I don't have any cockatoo companions other than cockatiels which are much smaller. I've held a couple of friend's white 'toos and any dark clothing ended up looking like I'd spilled talcum all over my front. With just my flock, which also includes Quakers, green cheek conures, a sun conure and a homing pigeon I have a large Austin air filter in the bird room as well as a couple of smaller filters with a Rabbit Air in our master bedroom which is on the other side of the house.

Maybe @JLcribber @Macawnutz @zoo mom could give you more input, especially zoo mom since I believe she has a Galah.

I'd also check AA and see if there's a write-up The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about a Galah. Check out the Cockatoo forum and do a search on cockatoo dust.
Hi are all your birds kept in the same room this includes the cockateils and conures. Does the dust bother the conure. You see I have an Indian ringneck and an deciding between an Amazon or galah.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The rule of thumb is to keep (or try to keep) Old World birds with Old World birds and New World birds with New World birds. In my case everyone is in the same room. The Quakers and gccs are free flighted so they'll come out of the bird room to the family room where the sun conure lives. The tiels prefer to remain in the bird room around their cage.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It's bad but not as bad as our white too... Probably made it so I needed to dust one day earlier in my weekly schedule. On the other hand, our little white too has the dining room table (6 feet away) coated in a noticable layer of dust within 36 hours of out-and-about time. Baths really, really help in keeping the dust down. If your Galah will take a bath by herself, all the better. Rhubarb requires that I sweet talk her about the idea a little, give scritches to show I intend no harm, use the squirt bottle in a direction away from her to pump up the jealously and finally that I mist her only from above or below but never the side after she poofs... In other words, she's trained me real good! :lol:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi how long have you had your birds and has it had any effect on your health. Also is the dust constantly falling off them or only when they preen. Thanks
I had a tiel previously for 5 years. Then my 'too for close to 3. The current tiels, less than a year. No, it hasn't effected my health. The dust can be when they are preening, playing etc. Not if they're just standing.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
It's definitely there but as long as you keep up vacuuming/dusting/cleaning on a daily basis like I do, it's really not noticeable too much. But you need to make the extra time to clean.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Duplicate threads merged to keep all responses and information in one place :)