• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gabapentin

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Doby has gone through a pretty heavy molt (so have my other two birds). Usually he gets super itchy when he is growing feathers on his legs, bites them until they are red then finally plucks all the new ones out and he is happy. This time he started the same thing..itchy, biting, plucking but it did not end there. He kept biting and biting until his leg was red and inflamed and started looking like a carpet burn on the verge of bleeding. I took him to the vet and told the vet I needed to do something before his plucking habit turned into a mutilation habit. The doctor said "dear, it already has". So, he put him on gabapentin for the week twice per day to see if it made a difference. I think it is making a slight difference but I was told it was a very small dose 0.08 mL at 250. He weighs 410gm. Honestly I don't know if the drug is doing anything or its my constant having him on me and him not being able to pluck while riding on me. I know a few of you are knowledgeable about this drug and I remember even being on a thread somewhere discussing it a few years ago. I'd like to hear from you about the drug and your own experiences.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This thread may be helpful to you.
Gabapentin for Chronic Plucking | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

My jasper has severe arthritis and has been on a combination of Gabapentin and Celebrex for 4/5 years. It has been very successful.

Has your vet considered that the plucking may be associated with an infection - particularly an infection on the skin or in the feather follicles. There is a member on this board who's B&G was becoming self mutilating. The Dr. tested the feather follicles and found that there was a MRSA infection in the follicles. The infection was cured and the mutilation stopped.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Doby has been a plucker for years and been checked thoroughly for any issues that would cause it. We always come back to initially anxiety that turned into a bad bad habit. He does not like feathers on his legs at all. During this last molt he is growing lots of new feathers from follicles I thought were long dead, many of those being on his legs. He has been leaving many of his other normally plucked feathers alone while concentrating on this one area. I think the gabapentin is helping but may call tomorrow and see if I can up the dose just a little. The vet already told me he is on a very small does. Doby was on some pretty huge antibiotics when he had the Ecoli thing (I know MRSA treatment depends on sensitivity test) and again when he first came back home to me with a bad bacterial infection and then AGAIN with some other infection.
The link you referred to is the one I remembered reading

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Gabapentin is pretty safe in a wide range of doses. I'm glad you're working with a vet on this. My trainwreck rescue budgie gets it intermittently because he used to bite his own feet all the time. He seems to have stopped that habit, but I still give him the gabapentin occasionally if his arthritis gets bad and the nsaids aren't enough.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Is Neosporin with pain relief safe?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I do have something similar to that. Someone said this was great so just ordered it.
  • FINEST NATURAL AND ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Combines Organic Aloe Vera, Manuka Honey, Coconut, Olive and Hemp Seed Oils, Shea Butter, Blue Green Algae for Minerals, with Vitamins A, B, C, E and Amino Acids. With powerful natural Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, Antimicrobial, Anti-Inflammatory ingredients. Nutrient rich with everything your pets’ skin needs to heal.
ResQ Organics Pet Skin Treatment

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do have something similar to that. Someone said this was great so just ordered it.
  • FINEST NATURAL AND ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Combines Organic Aloe Vera, Manuka Honey, Coconut, Olive and Hemp Seed Oils, Shea Butter, Blue Green Algae for Minerals, with Vitamins A, B, C, E and Amino Acids. With powerful natural Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, Antimicrobial, Anti-Inflammatory ingredients. Nutrient rich with everything your pets’ skin needs to heal.
ResQ Organics Pet Skin Treatment

Is that OK for birds? Seems to be for "furry friends".

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Yes, its fine. Its also good for humans believe it or not. I'm careful not to let it get on his feathers. Honestly I needed something like that when I was caring for my mom. My hands were a raw mess from washing constantly

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I just checked and the cream does not have that. It has Neomycin sulfate, Polymyxin B sulfate and pramoxcine HCI and no other active ingredients. I did talk to the Vets office and they said it was fine and to make sure I rubbed it in well. Doby is a sweetheart and does not bite me (so far) when I medicate his leg. He does nudge my hand with his beak but I tell him its ok and he seems to understand. He trusts me a lot...even with all that has happened this past year.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I've had good results with gabapentin for two chronic pluckers, and also for my bird who has chronic nerve dysfunction after a head injury. It is definitely safe in a wide dosage range, so if you think it's making some difference, ask your vet about going up. My vet has given me a range for my birds' weight and I vary it up and down a bit depending on how their symptoms are doing. It can cause drowsiness but in my experience that usually gets better after a day or two on the new dose.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I had called the vet yesterday and left message if I could increase the does. He said I could double it but I just uped it by half t see how he would react. So far he is not drowsy. crossing my fingers he will leave his leg alone. I candeal with having my guy naked but mutilation is another story. I hate thinking of him in pain

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I had called the vet yesterday and left message if I could increase the does. He said I could double it but I just uped it by half t see how he would react. So far he is not drowsy. crossing my fingers he will leave his leg alone. I candeal with having my guy naked but mutilation is another story. I hate thinking of him in pain
Giggie and Tuck have been on it awhile and a huge dose for their size I think. Giggie is on .15ml as is Tuck. After Giggie's last egg binding issue, it really damaged something. She now chews on her feet if I don't have the dose high enough. And a collar isn't an option long term with a mate. The higher dose makes her look a bit sleepy but I tried to back her down even a just a tiny .02 and she started chewing again. Tuck has something going on nerve wise in his left hip/joint area.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
He is prescribed 0.16 but Iam only giving him giving 0.12. He weighs 410. What is the strength of your formula, ours is 250

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How many times a day are you giving it? I've found that splitting the dose in half is helpful.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Two times per day. He was on a very small dose, I called the vet to increase it. The vet tech called me back and said to double it...uuuhhhh, no, not going to just all of a sudden double it. I have increased it by half and if he needs more I will give the full new dose.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would be fine to double it. That's how I've titrated it every time I've started a bird on it -- starting with one dose for a few days, then doubling it every few days until it gets to a point where it's therapeutic or reaches the max range the vet gave me. Sometimes I'll give my head injury girl a double dose when her spasms are really acting up.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He is prescribed 0.16 but Iam only giving him giving 0.12. He weighs 410. What is the strength of your formula, ours is 250
Mine is 300mg capsule in 2ml of distilled water.