• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Gabapentin for focused seizures in my 2 year old budgie.

Suneeta

Checking out the neighborhood
My 2 year old budgie has been treated for a whole host of problems in last 6 months. Bacterial infection, gastric yeast, and now suspected zinc/lead toxicity which is not showing up in x-ray and blood test (3). The vet gave me gabapentin (.01 ml) and asked me remove from my 10 year old aviary and put the budgies in a smaller newer cage. She has been getting focused seizures. Her mate died a month ago in the same cage. She still has 3 other companion budgies. The seizures are continuing...Please help

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If the vets treatment plan is not effective and you have followed instructions then make a phone call to that vet to see what the next step is. Is this vet an avian vet? @Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Gabapentin is commonly given to birds to control seizures. Several other medications are also used to control seizures - i.e. diazepam, phenobarbitol.

The causes of seizures are myriad and it will take time and testing to determine the cause of your bird's seizures - if it can be determined. If the cause cannot be determined it is then called an idiopathic seizure.

This article will give you a lot of information. Diagnosing and Treating Avian Neurologic Disease - LafeberVet