• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fuzzgig has parasites

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So earlier this week Fuzzgig has his yearly checkup. The vet said he looked really good and healthy, especially being 6 (somewhat old for a pacman frog, average lifespan is around 10). He happened to poop while he was there, the vet wanted to send it in to make sure things were good.

Today we got a call from a vet tech there. They said the lab had results. There were two types of parasites or eggs that were present but not much of a concern.

But there was a third that couldn't be identified. The vet said it could be from something he ate (nightcrawlers), or took in from the environment.

They said our vet is trying to get more information from the lab, but the person she needs to talk to won't be in until Monday, so we just have to wait to find out what's going on.

I don't even know how to process this. I'm just scared for him and I want him to be okay.

Thoughts, prayers, whatever you've got, would be much appreciated.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ll pray for Fuzzgig. Sorry he’s doing poorly. I like his name.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I've had some time to collect my thoughts and get over the initial panic. I'm still worried, but I'm encouraged that the vet said he looked really healthy. Also, he's at the same weight as last year and his appetite is good, which are both good things. I'm hoping they can figure out what this mystery parasite is, and that he just needs some low-level medication.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww poor baby. Hopefully the answer will help clarify and there will be a medicine to help rid them. He´s so well looked after by you, such a lucky little froggo :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no that sucks! Sadly I think many insectivores have parasites at one point of their life or another. Hopefully because you are so on top of your pets this will pass without too much incident :hug4:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if it's a cyclical parasite that has always been around. Some parasites are like that, like giardia or e-cuniculi.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's officially Next Week, so hopefully we'll get that call from the vet soon. I'm still very nervous but Fuzzgig seems to be doing okay, his croaks sound a tiny bit different than normal but that could totally be my brain perceiving things wrong. I just hope he's okay, it sucks that frogs are so much harder to "read" than birds or dogs.

Any advice from frog folks is very welcome and appreciated.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So earlier today we got a call from a vet tech, basically the vet was able to get in touch with the lab. They weren't able to identify the 3rd parasite and it's too late to retest the sample, so they want me to bring in another (which will be a while), so the can retest. If he still has the 3rd parasite in the retest, then they'll recommend sending it to University of Florida.

The vet also wants me to just keep him on frog foam, no moss, for now (which is easy to do).

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have good news!

We took in a 2nd sample and today the vet got in touch, the 3rd parasite is no longer present! They suspect it was a worm that may have been from his environment or from his prey.

I'm just glad to know my sweet little guy is okay!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Good to hear Fuzzgig is ok :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼