• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Future eclectus entertainment/ companion bird

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Im thinking of getting an eclectus at some point either adopted or from a breeder, by the time i am planning to get this bird i am hopefully going to be working a nice 9-5 job. I was wondering what entertainment for their birds while they’re not home other eclectus owners here on the forum have found to be effective. I am also looking into getting another bird (or birds) to provide enrichment (canaries,budgies,etc..)for my ekkie while im not home, has anyone found this to be useful or not (in general) for ekkies? Does anyone have any ideas on entertainment for said bird while im not home?
Thanks in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
An amplious cage with various foraging activities and toys is a good start.
Some like to leave a radio or TV on.

@EkkieLu ?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Ekkies are some of the most complicated species to keep. They require a fresh diet unlike other birds, are much more expensive to care and have very unique personalities/behavioral issues. I couldnt imagine leaving a bird alone for 9-5 (I know many do- its just not my belief- if you did, you would need a few thousand dollar enclosure, but since they eat fresh food, they would need to be fed at least twice a day and food removed after eating- so up early, and no more happy hours with friends, etc).

Providing 'enrichment' as you call it for an ekkie with other birds (a passerine and an extremely small skiddish hookbill) is not a good idea. Do some reasearch on the difference between passerine and psitacine, ekkies lifestyle, etc.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Ekkies are some of the most complicated species to keep. They require a fresh diet unlike other birds, are much more expensive to care and have very unique personalities/behavioral issues. I couldnt imagine leaving a bird alone for 9-5 (I know many do- its just not my belief- if you did, you would need a few thousand dollar enclosure, but since they eat fresh food, they would need to be fed at least twice a day and food removed after eating- so up early, and no more happy hours with friends, etc).

Providing 'enrichment' as you call it for an ekkie with other birds (a passerine and an extremely small skiddish hookbill) is not a good idea. Do some reasearch on the difference between passerine and psitacine, ekkies lifestyle, etc.
Im planning on getting an aviary that is big but it might fit in a house (its more of a cage styled aviary) and i will have the biggest “tree perch” i can find to go in the middle or sides, its big enough for small flights but small enough to be affordable its about 1000$ which im prepared to pay.

I know the differences between the different birds, i was thinking maybe something to look at from a distance, or maybe even another parrot though i dont know what species would be good with an eclectus other than maybe an african grey which i cannot afford. Maybe ill just stick with the ol’tv and radio trick.

Im thinking ahead like five years i have plenty of planning time, plus i plan to come home on lunch breaks and play and eat with him. Maybe ill record myself talking to him on video and have that play on the tv for a few hours :lol:

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
With 1000$ you can get an indoor or outdoor aviary for them, a great way for enrichments is foraging, there’s many and to hide food around cages.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
IMO a 9-5 job is not right to keep birds. But that never stopped anyone so if you do want to, be willing to wake up early to spend time with it, as well as at least spend all your breaks with it. Remember Eclectus are SO prone to emotional issues. Just know what you're getting into. I'm in a nice situation where I work evenings; 2:30-10 and my dad comes home at 4:30, so they're only alone for about 2 hours at most and I only work 3-4/7 days unless I pick up. Once I move out, I am able to switch to over nights with my current job and online college.
Just be aware of how much time they need. Maybe look into overnights? A smaller bird if you must compromise? Maybe a conure?

Last edited:

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Im thinking of getting an eclectus at some point either adopted or from a breeder, by the time i am planning to get this bird i am hopefully going to be working a nice 9-5 job. I was wondering what entertainment for their birds while they’re not home other eclectus owners here on the forum have found to be effective. I am also looking into getting another bird (or birds) to provide enrichment (canaries,budgies,etc..)for my ekkie while im not home, has anyone found this to be useful or not (in general) for ekkies? Does anyone have any ideas on entertainment for said bird while im not home?
Thanks in advance!
Hi. :) This is just my thoughts. Other people may have different solutions. Ekkies are great birds but..no other species is truly safe with one. Even their mates have been known to get attacked and they are known to kill their young for various reasons. I think that they are still misunderstood though. I'll give some examples below. I hope you can work through the problems as they are more like living with kids than some birds.

Entertainment/Companions. Whilst they spend a lot of time alone in their breeding holes, they do have regular visits from their multiple mates who feed them. They also need to defend their nests from other birds, snakes etc so they are sometimes quite busy.
This is why they are not fond of other birds and will see them as a threat them in a domestic setting where your home is their tree, so to speak. In the wild they can get away from each other when they are flocking. Its how they are wired. In your home they are trapped.

They have been known to bite birds through cage bars especially in their long breeding season. I have seen it. Not all do, but I don't take the chance after seeing the results.
A budgie who is one of the lowest prey bird in the wild, could be considered irresistible to an Eclectus. I would prefer a larger bird but you have to spend more time letting them out separately, preferably in different rooms and watching for trouble. As long as they can't reach each other it could work to a point. Of course you will need to extend your food allowance, vet bills and toys, cages, time home etc.

They love tube bells and will ring them to make a noise, also those heavy balls on chains, if they can smash it at a wall. They also yell loudly. Sometimes, just for the joy of it, sometimes its a flock call because their flock, (you) has left them or they alarm call. Another parrot may help but again they can't have access to each others cages when you are home. My girl loves my Alexandrine however she still inflicts toe damage, by accident, through the wire of their aviaries that divides them, if Merlin is hanging there. She also wants to pull his long tail if she can grab it. He has learned to steer clear when she is in a mood. A Budgie may not do well.
Cardboard boxes are fun but temporary. They have strong beaks so wooden toys/ gum tree branches are a constant restock. A video of wild birds hanging around in the trees is better than a voice on repeat. Either would be unsettling though, as to not be able to have peace during their nap periods during the day would be unnatural and tiring. They are stuck in their cage so could resort to weird behaviour similar to what happens in solitary confinement. Its not easy to decide when you work.

My birds don't play with toys often although I buy them and they will chew them. They hang with me mainly unless they are outside in their aviary where they talk to the other birds, scream at the wild ones and chew their tree branches. They do love to chew phones, wires or your wooden furniture so you may need to get plenty of things like pine cones or similar to keep them busy.

In the wild you see birds in a row on a branch. They aren't doing much, just preening, squabbling and sorting their pecking order. A lone bird expects you to do the same. When you come home its a full time commitment to speak their language and be BIRD social.

They do need a special diet. Fruitarian/Vegetarian mainly, with other bits and pieces so try to get a couple of shelves in your refrigerator dedicated to their diet and some of those special F&V containers. They are fussy about the temperature and age of their food. They change their minds so there is waste.

The females are vicious. No, they are wired to be tough and protective. The amount of nest holes are less than the amount of females so they will fight for them.
You can't keep an Ekkie with another parrot. See above.
They are prone to plucking. Can be, but three things are factored in- diet/breeding history and environment. They are intelligent like a 5 yo child and boredom will affect them mentally.
Also in some countries they are crossbred/inbred to an extent, because they are not native. The gene pool is limited so always check for health and breeding history. If you live where they naturally occur it still counts to be cautious.
They are dry birds. They live in rainforests so need moisture.
They are very hormonal. I have Lorikeets who are much worse and will tear strips off me. They will partner with you though, so expect to keep very strict boundaries.
They are not for the fainthearted or for someone who has minimal income. True.
If you can give them time they need they are your friend and will trust you completely but they don't forget slights easily and they do need plenty of attention. Good luck. :)