• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Future Bird Momma Here- Looking for suggestions

Which do you feed your baby?

• Seed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pellets

• Mix of both

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Neither

• Total voters

Jesse Tan

Checking out the neighborhood
I am trying to figure out how to feed my soon-to-be budgie. What amount and ratio of seed to pellet to fresh fruits/veggies is best for proper nutrition? Along with that, what brands are best, and which fruits and vegetables are the most nutritious? I attempted to find answers through Google, but articles either contradicted each other, or were wildly unspecific.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
for budgies I usually hear you need an equal amount of seeds to pellets. So an example would be 40% seeds, 40% pellets, 20% veggies

Pellet brands: Pellets for Parrots | Lil Monsters Bird Toys

I personally feed all my birds a vitamin fortified "complete" pellet, and the reason is because of Vitamin D3. An article about that: Vitamin D3 for Our Birds | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Chop Recipe with some information on healthy choices: My Chop “Recipe“ | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
for budgies I usually hear you need an equal amount of seeds to pellets. So an example would be 40% seeds, 40% pellets, 20% veggies
This is the "formula" our AV suggested for our budgies. Remember, it's always most difficult to be exactly correct with the percentages, but you do the best you can...;)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have always wondered too, if my pellets are so old they are too dry for my budgies... I mean, I bought them new, but I only have 2, so they go through them slowly. I have read where some wet them down, but I don't want to promote moldy food, so not sure... And WELCOME @Jesse Tan :welcomesign:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
As a rule, budgies shouldn't get a pellet only diet. They are seed eaters by nature; wild budgies eat a lot of millet (albiet a different species than the domestic millet we feed our pet budgies).
Budgie seed mixes are low in fat, anyway.
In my experience, budgies don't really care for fruit. Most like veggies and grain-based things like bread, cooked pasta, rice, ect. Leafy greens are really good for them.
They can have some pellets, but budgies can be picky about them.

For seed mixed, most budgie mixes are pretty similar in the seeds - red and white millet, canary seed, oats, and flaxseed. "Fancier" mixes often include a lot of dried fruits and veggies that your budgie will never touch - especially if they are getting fresh veggies. I like the Volkman parakeet seed since it is a nice, relatively plain seed mix. It's not a complete diet (no seed mix is) but with veggies and other healthy fresh foods, it seems to be a good diet.

Jesse Tan

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you everyone for your help! This has cleared up a lot of my confusion and made me more comfortable to move on with my plans.