• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Further proof that Tayla thinks she is a dog....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebs

Walking the driveway
....She has managed to completely chew up one of her wood perches in the span of about 3 weeks. It is literally almost bit all the way through. Don't worry it is very low so, if it does break she won't fall but about 2-3 inches.

Is this something I should be concerned about?? You know, like when a bird habitually plucks their own feathers? I THINK she is just playing and anything she can destroy is her favorite toy but what if I am wrong? She has 4 toys in her cage and 2 get swapped out on a regular basis plus, she is out of cage with me a large percent of the day/evening.

Should I be worried or is this normal play for tiels???

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Seems Normal to me. Mine go thru spells with the chewing.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If mine have dowel perches or wooden ladders they will chew them up. It's normal. Better that than my doors or moldings!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Its a good thing :) Helps maintain the beak! Try to get some harder woods like grapevine or dragonwood, which will slow her down :)

Pebs

Walking the driveway
Thank you everyone! I was so worried that she was bored or unhappy like when birds pluck their own feathers.
:cloud9:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh yeah normal as heck and good for her too!!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pebs just keep giving her things to chew up. She's fine.:)

Veggieburger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Donna
Locust wood is real hard as well. We're getting ready to cut a whole bunch of locust branches for our birds.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Normal! I am so happy to report my boy has done almost the same with one of his perches..but only one..And I can't tell which type perch it was because its so messed up...I just know where I got it from...I think I'll have to ask her opinion..:lol:
I also thought you were going to say something along the lines of 'she barks' or something...I'm pretty sure mine is practicing that as well..:rolleyes:

Pebs

Walking the driveway
Greymatron,

Tayla doesn't bark but my other tiel Star (also a female) barked/yelped like a puppy. I live in apt complex and my neighbors at the time had a puppy that they would tie up outside when they were gone and the poor thing yelped and cried all day and that is how Star learned...lol

Tayla does however whistle 'what' and 'please'. Not in words but in whistles but I & other ppl around her a lot can figure out what she is saying...lol She also learned to whistle from my nurse. I have a nurse that checks on me once a week and she whistles to Tayla every week. I, however, cannot whistle at all....but Tayla whistles all the time, not just when the nurse is here.

Tayla is a smart little cookie. She picks things up very quickly and her main goal in life is to destroy-whether it be her toys or my stuff. I was just surprised to see her going at the perch, instead of the toys.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I really love hearing all about little Tayla.. :smileflower:

Pebs

Walking the driveway
Well, Tayla only has one perch left that she hasn't destroyed. So, I had to buy some dowel rods yesterday so I can get some more made. I think I should be able to get 5 or 6 made....that should keep her busy for awhile.

And yes, she has other perches besides the dowel rods. The dowels are just the ones she can destroy. It's weird though cause she has 4 toys in her cage...and I do change her toys out periodically.....but attacking the perch is more fun.....go figure!
:huh:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My two chew them as well. Helps to trim down their beakies.

Pebs

Walking the driveway
Actually...since making the new perches....PLURAL. She has not made one single dent in the first one. Just my luck I will have these spare ones for the rest of her life and never be used. :lol:

These perches are thicker than the other ones so, maybe that is why she hasn't?....but, I don't really know. I did not purposely try to deter her from doing it. I was trying to give her an ample supply of them since she enjoyed them soooo much. If anyone can shed some light, that would be awesome. (I feel bad.)

By the way, SORRY....I thought I sent this weeks ago!!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Wish I could help...It does sound like she liked the original perch, period...

Status
Not open for further replies.