• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Furry Critter Toys (bunnies, guinea pigs, etc)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So looks like I will be venturing into small animal toys - bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, etc :D Working on stuff now. Anyone want to share their furry monsters' favorite materials or activities? :D

Sneak peak at one of the ones I made last night, geared mainly towards rabbits.

IMG_20180524_103716_744.jpg

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
My jumbo rat Haagen-Daz liked veggie tanned leather, cardboard and cork stoppers.

I had ferrets at one point in time, they will play (steal xD) with anything but love noisy things most. Moose's favorite toy was a tag she rip off the bed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My jumbo rat Haagen-Daz liked veggie tanned leather, cardboard and cork stoppers.

I had ferrets at one point in time, they will play (steal xD) with anything but love noisy things most. Moose's favorite toy was a tag she rip off the bed.

haha someone mentioned ferrets and I was like....I have NO idea what I could make that would cater to them LOL.

My rats love sola weirdly! Wilson runs around with one of the sola balls like it's his best friend :lol: Cottonwood, cardboard, and finger traps are their next favorite. I will have to try cork and leather!

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
haha someone mentioned ferrets and I was like....I have NO idea what I could make that would cater to them LOL.
Ferrets are weird little CatDog creatures that are entertained by the most simplest of things. Mine liked laser pointers too lol.

Cornhusk and cupcake paper was a another ratty favorite. I miss Haagen-Daz he was so smart. I use to fill a bowl with water and put frozen peas in it for him to fish out and he would always deposit them near me as if he was sharing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ferrets are weird little CatDog creatures that are entertained by the most simplest of things. Mine liked laser pointers too lol.

Cornhusk and cupcake paper was a another ratty favorite. I miss Haagen-Daz he was so smart. I use to fill a bowl with water and put frozen peas in it for him to fish out and he would always deposit them near me as if he was sharing.

Yes! Mine love to go fishing for peas and the occasional blueberry :D Especially with it getting warmer, I have been making sure to clean and fill their "pool" (I think it's for small turtles? LOL) often. I haven't tried the cornhusk yet, but it is on my to do list!

Awesome! I've been trying to find someone who sells toys for the buns. I think both of them would love the one you posted. :)

Great! Since you have bunnies - I was debating getting some Orchard Grass to use in some of the toys. Is that something your buns would like? I am trying to avoid Timothy simply because so many people have allergies to them.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
I have yet to meet a rabbit that doesn't love orchard grass, so I'm sure it would be a huge hit. :) One of their favorite DIY toys currently is just a toilet paper or paper towel tube with small holes punched along the sides, filled with hay, and the ends twisted up. Kind of a foraging toy for rabbits. I'm not very creative, lol, but the buns don't seem to mind.

You guys talking about your ratties is making me sorely miss mine. I kept rats for around six years, and I loved them to death, but the short life spans were just so hard. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had rats right before I got Jingo almost 7 years ago and they didn't even live to 2 years. I was so sad but also not the best pet owner at the time. The birds have made me a much better caretaker in general, but I am still not looking forward to losing them before I'm ready!

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
My oldest rat, Apollo, lived to be nearly three. I want to say he was two years and eight months old when he passed if I remember correctly?

Gah, I miss my ratties. :heart: How do you guys make it work owning both rats and birds? I imagine you'd have to be very careful.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My oldest rat, Apollo, lived to be nearly three. I want to say he was two years and eight months old when he passed if I remember correctly?

Gah, I miss my ratties. :heart: How do you guys make it work owning both rats and birds? I imagine you'd have to be very careful.

Yes, I have them housed in different rooms, and the rats can't come out unless the birds are in cages (and vice versa), so they tend to come out after birdy bedtime. I also have a gate up between the rooms in case there is a furry escape from the playpen I use to encase the living room lol. I also have plexiglass on the rat cage to keep any bird from getting nabbed if they happen to land on it.

Then I have cats too... so that's a whole other piece of the puzzle :lol:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

From all the videos I watch on Tumblr, they are definitely a mix of cats and dogs. I see them playing with cat toys, jumping in to small ball pits, playing "carpet shark" under a rug, you name it. They could probably entertain themselves with just about anything. I know they love tunnels, so those thick cardboard tubes would be good if you added hardware to mount them along the cage or something.

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
My rabbit ( I used to have upwards of 21 as I bred them) LOVES bell toys and toys with bells and chewable wood is heaven on earth lol Anything cardboardy she loves. I just saw the post above and can confirm that ball pits are loved by Buns, not sure about ferrets though.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My rabbit ( I used to have upwards of 21 as I bred them) LOVES bell toys and toys with bells and chewable wood is heaven on earth lol Anything cardboardy she loves.

oh nice! I wouldn't have though of bells!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My bunnies, which I no longer have, would've loved anything shreddy -- the one you showed in the first post or any variation thereof. Also cardboard cardboard cardboard. I used to build mazes out of cardboard boxes and put treats or chews at each turn. they'd chew all the stuff and then chew doors and windows in the boxes. Or is it out of the boxes?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the input so far, I'm loving it! Gets my creative juices flowing!

Here's one I made last night; my rats adore hardwood beads and palm especially! And I just like bright colors :lol:

IMG_20180525_134439_332.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My bunnies, which I no longer have, would've loved anything shreddy -- the one you showed in the first post or any variation thereof. Also cardboard cardboard cardboard. I used to build mazes out of cardboard boxes and put treats or chews at each turn. they'd chew all the stuff and then chew doors and windows in the boxes. Or is it out of the boxes?

Maybe it's like a glass half full or empty situation? :lol:

The rats adore cardboard too; I'll have to add some into toys for sure!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for the input so far, I'm loving it! Gets my creative juices flowing!

Here's one I made last night; my rats adore hardwood beads and palm especially! And I just like bright colors :lol:

View attachment 277737
Ooooh that's so pretty :smileflower:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have a grandbunny...... for those that look for the grandiose items...

There's actually a cardboard house that you can buy for them. Bianca (my grandbunny) received that one Christmas from these grandparents.

I thought I bought it from Cottontail Cottages but the version I bought (years ago) I thought had a ramp. I found this site that had a plainer looking one.

Cottontail Cottage--Cardboard Rabbit House – Lucky Bunny Bungalows