• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Funky driftwood

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Alright fish folks, I need your help.

I bought a piece of cholla wood for my 40 gallon from Josh's Frogs, in preparation for the bristlenose pleco I hope to get in the future. I put it in the tub to soak it before it goes in the tank, and this gross white junk showed up.

It's fibrous, opaque white, some of it is hard but some is soft. It's slimy like pumpkin guts. It's only growing in the holes and divets of the wood.

What is this? Do I need to worry? I have a hunch it could just be dead wood that is decaying. Would this be bad for my tank if I were to put it in? Or would the snails take care of it?

I should add this piece is 36 inches long, so boiling it on the stove is not gonna happen. Hot tub water is as close as we'll get.

So, thoughts? @finchly and @hrafn , yall have any ideas?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Got a pic of it? I have 150 gal tank too...

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Here they are. It's the nasty white stuff. I'm considering having my dad cut it, I don't know.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
It could be bacteria or fungus which is just eating the nutrients left in the wood. It that case leave it in uncycled tank till they die off on their own when there isn't a food left.

Did say reptile Wood? Because it be a coating on it for reptiles that's coming off?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You could put it in the oven to sterilize it, if it seems like a fungus. After that just scrub with a stiff brush to see if it’ll come off.

My feeling is this: cholla wood comes from a cactus plant, and this may just be part of the plant. Maybe you can find someone online showing the drying process.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @finchly may it may simply be a normal part of cholla, but unfortunately I can't say with confidence as we don't have cholla nearby where I live.

It does look potentially fungus-y, though, and personally I would sterilise in the oven before introducing to the tank. Just in case.

That's one beautiful piece of driftwood! Your pleco will love it!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Great advice everyone! Bacteria, fungus, or parasites, it definitely needs to be gone!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's supposed to be all natural, on the page for cholla wood at Josh's frogs it says it can be used in both aquariums and terrariums. I've used other cholla for my tanks before and had no issue. So I'm not sure what it is. Should I just cut it down and put it in the oven? And how would I do that without burning my house down? Advice needed please lol

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It that case leave it in uncycled tank
I don't have an uncycled tank though. My 40 is fully stocked, it's been running for several years now. And I don't have the space for another tank (currently running 4 fish tanks, plus the frog).
You could try curing it in a kiln also
I also don't have access to a kiln. The oven is as good as it's gonna get.

I think I'm gonna have dad cut it down into 2 or 3 pieces. How do I go about sticking it my oven and not burning my house down? Low heat or high heat? My dad says low heat but I don't know if that would kill off everything. Help?

Reactions: Jas