• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full Time Job and Parrot Ownership

grmarshall

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Grace
Hi everyone! I hope this is the right forum to post this in, I'm new to the site. I'm considering getting a bird (either a GCC, Caique, or MAYBE an African Grey if the right older AG comes along needing a home) and have some questions about planning out quality time along with sleep schedule. I'm a vet tech, and I work on a 4 10s schedule (currently 7:30-6:30 including an hour for lunch, 4 days/week). I've seen quite a few posts about working a regular 9-5 and having a parrot, but I haven't come across anyone who works longer shifts.

My specific question is about sleep schedule. In the research I've been doing I've heard rather conflicting statements. Some sources I've read or watched say that birds need strictly 12 hours of sleep per night, absolutely no less. Some say that between 10-12 hours is fine. I don't know which to believe! Ideally I would like to wake my bird up at around 6:30 and bed time around 8:00 to allow me to spend at least 1.5 hours of out of cage time on days that I work. Of course on my three days off I would spend much more time with the bird - I'm really excited about trick training, recall/flight training, harness training to go on hikes, etc. Would that kind of sleep schedule seriously mess with a bird's hormones? Or does it depend on your specific bird?

Also, if there's anyone on here who works longer than standard shifts and has advice or wants to tell me how they've made it work with a parrot, please chime in! I would love any general advice y'all have to offer. I want to really think this through before I adopt a bird. I know it's a very big commitment and I want to make sure this can be done responsibly and enjoyably for both me and a feathered friend. Thanks in advance for any advice!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have cockatiels and I'm a hospital psychologist with a similar schedule. It doesn't seem to be a problem for my flock, but I can't speak specifically to the species you mentioned.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think birds are more adaptable than we give them credit for ;)

12 hours is likely ideal because most of the most popular species are from near the equator and would naturally receive 12 hours of night and 12 hours of day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

grmarshall

Real Name
Grace
This was a great article, thank you!! The part about seeing increases in plucking behaviors in AGs who get 12hrs was particularly interesting. Makes a lot of sense that for such intelligent creatures social time can be more important than a “full” night’s sleep. Thanks for the great behavior resource, I’ll definitely be looking at more Pamela Clark articles in the future!

clarousel

I'm sometimes out of the house for around/more than 10 hours but my bird gets at least 10 hours of sleep with some flight time in the morning :)

grmarshall

Real Name
Grace
Pamela Clark is a true treasure :)
Anyone else I should know about? I want to learn as much as possible before taking the leap. When I first became interested in birds a while ago I stumbled upon Bird Tricks, but I’ve heard they are rather controversial (and noticed that they were actually quoted as being incorrect in that article).

clarousel

I just read this out loud and Preeno came so close to my face, staring so intently at me and listening to me read :shy:

Such a great article! Thank you so much for sharing. The balance of sleep/social time and the roosting period makes a lot of sense. Bookmarking this article for future reference.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have always found the 10- 12 hours of sleep in a dark room or with a cover over the cage quote to be rather odd myself, it is a pity people are still pushing that it is the only way a bird can be healthy and happy- I find it unnatural and none of my birds have ever lived this rule and they have all been rather healthy with no behavior issues.

I have never been to nor heard of a place where you can not hear birds in the middle of the night when they are "supposed" to be asleep in the dark. I also find it very interesting that people would advocate for the lengthy total darkness time when I know that birds live in built up city areas where there are street lights keeping everything well lit 24 hrs a day, it is not even completely dark in the country where there are no street lights. We frequently used to go on night bush walks with no torches and you would hear and see birds.

Mantis64

The 12 hours of darkness thing has largely been disproven as a hard rule.
I'm not to sure but I put my bird to sleep at nine and wake him up at nine and when I go to open the curtains in his room I can see he has been eating for some time.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
My two grays go to their cages at 7pm. But I cover them later around 9.30 pm. I myself go to bed at about 11 pm and then I turn off the light. I usually Wake up several times at night and for sure they can hear me. So they do not have 12 hours of uniterupted sleep. Akira btw would't stand it. I can hear her during the night. She wakes up before me and starts her activities doesn't matter cover or not. She just lives in her own time zone. Edgar is quiet untill I take off his cover.
Both birds are stable emotionally {well Edgar is hormonal now} and seem to be happy.
I live quite irregular life and they adapted very well.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi asks to go to her sleep room around 7:30, asks for lights out around 8. I draw the sheer curtains but there is some light outside her area so she can still see. At 8, instead of going to sleep she wanders all around her cage. If I poke my head in, she quickly returns to her sleep spot like it's my rule. It's so funny, it seems to be one of her fave times of the day. I wake her at 7AM and she is always raring to go. She naps during the day off and on.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree it's an old off fact that pretty much has been disproved.
I've worked days, swings, graves, 6 hour days to 12 hours days, so many changes in the last 25 years.
My birds have handled them all with no ill effects that I can see.
They sleep when I sleep, or when I'm at work. Giving them 12 hours of full darkness and quiet is just plain impossible.
All are stable (maybe my Too is a bit off!) and happy.

clarousel

Just wanted to add on, I cover Preeno's cage around 8.30pm and leave the room. I come back later and have the light on for maybe 1-2 hours depending on the time. I also sometimes skype my fiancé but I try to talk as quietly as possible. I reckon during this time he's perched there eyes open but resting.

He wakes around 7-7.30am and he's not tired despite all the disruptions the night before. He used to nap so much but now he's just GO GO GO! :roflmao: it's been so long since I heard beak grinding.