• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full Spectrum Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
We just went out and bought a bunch of full spectrum light bulbs for our Apt. Wow whatta difference in general....

but my real question is this....how many Grey/Parrot owners use these bulbs? Have you noticed a difference?

thanks guys!

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't know about Grey's, but I got a FS lamp for my GCC and he went crazy! Screaming, biting, not sleeping. I only used it in the daytime when I was gone for work. I took him to the vet, who told me to not use it right now, until we get his hormones, most likely puberty, under control. So now he is mellow again! So maybe I just didn't know what I was doing!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
We put FSL through our house, and with the birds. Living in MN, the sunrays up here are weak as it is, and in the winter it can be months before you see a genuine ray of sunshine. I've found that is greatly improved my moods (I'm prone to temporal depression) and the birds plumage stayed vibrant and healthy. It also seems to aid in keeping my fids on a "sleep schedule" a little better, as we've recently packed up all the lights and replaced the bulbs with regular bulbs since we move into our new place on Friday. The birds were up at 4:30 this morning which is an hour earlier than usual, and getting them to settle in for night night has become a little challenging as well.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I have a FS over the cage. I noticed that Jacob is not as cranky, no more agitated or irritated screaming. He's still vocal, just different.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I am a big believer in FS lighting when used properly. Unfortunately there are a lot of misconceptions about FS lighting. The first is why it is used. Although many people believe that it is for Vitamin D production, most light manufacturers agree that the UV production is far too low for any real Vitamin D production. Even with the right CRI, Kelvin rating, and UV output, the UV output will degrade so much faster than the tube that most tubes in use don't put out the UV rays necessary for Vitamin D production anyway. Instead, FS lighting is the most beneficial for proper vision by parrots. In short, they see differently than we do-- and the UV output that the lights do put out (a different wavelength from that which would contribute to Vitamin D production) allows them to see properly. I know several people who believe that the reason why birds crash into walls, windows, and doors in homes is because they can't see without the proper lighting.

Second, there are a ton of FS lights on the market that don't do anything. Compact fluorescent bulbs, for example, are not rated to produce the proper CRI nor UV output necessary for parrots. A few off the top of my head, for example... Zoo Med (Avian Sun), Featherbrite, Avilux, Vita-Lite, etc. To truly reap the benefits of FS lighting, you need full fluorescent tubes with a CRI of at least 93, a Kelvin rating of between 5000 to 5500, and a guaranteed UV output of both UVA and UVB.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I am removing all of the FS bulbs from our home because of the mercury content and danger when bulbs are broken. A lady on another bird board broke one in her bird room and had to seal off the room, replace furniture, carpet, etc., plus not to mention the possibility of the fids having mercury poisoning. These bulbs also cannot be thrown in a regular trash can because of the danger. I did not realize all of this when I got our FS bulbs and lamps. Back to regular 'ol light bulbs for me!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"............... To truly reap the benefits of FS lighting, you need full fluorescent tubes with a CRI of at least 93, a Kelvin rating of between 5000 to 5500, and a guaranteed UV output of both UVA and UVB."
I agree with the above quote of Lotus15.

And I would add, if you are going to buy good quality F.S. tubes, why not buy a tube with a CRI rating of 98 instead of one with any lower rating.

I recommend Phillips F32T8TL950 four ft. linear fluorescent tubes.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Bah! Im scared!! LOL I thought I could just walk in and buy one....so much to learn!!! And when to use it, thats where Im confused.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Bah! Im scared!! LOL I thought I could just walk in and buy one....so much to learn!!! And when to use it, thats where Im confused.
You use it during the daylight hours and keep it regular. I turn it on at 7:30 when I uncover the cage.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
My eldest Grey who is eleven in August, was ill and although giving her the right foods and Vet's visits she was not responding all that well to any treatment. Her calcium levels were low but not so low as to give her fits etc.
With the help from our dear Bonnie and Billiefaye, she got better and it was the regular use of Broad spectrum lighting 4-6hrs a day and about quarter of a teaspoon of red palm oil on toast daily plus well cooked chicken or chop bones twice a week.
although having the right foods her body was not able to convert the vitamin D needed to use it correctly. The sunshine is the best as it is the natural rays but no good through a window.
Really it is mimicking as much as possible their natural habitat used by their ancestors and their genes responding to it.

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
we use them.....however....heres the catch(s)

1. Change ALL of your bulbs. Don't mix and match.
2. Staring at a FS bulb would be like us staring into the sun, so make sure to use some cover.
3. You don't have to buy a lamp and put it right over your parrots home, but just use them as you would any other bulb.
4. you do wanna use like a 5K bulb. (should say it right on the box.)
5. Their not that much more than normal bulbs...we got a 4 pack for like 9 bucks.
6. They really do make it look like its real outdoor lighting in your living room!

We've seen some nice results since using them. I agree with the post above, I think they can help the parrot SEE better, hence be in a better mood. As far as using them for health reasons, i don't have enough knowledge to say anything about that.

Thats my 2 cents...take them, or give them back, as I'm broke at the moment! ;-)

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
I just recieved 4 new light bulbs from featherbrite :( so they are not any good ? geez they cost enough

trout

Real Name
Bobby
I also use the phillips bulbs. I put up commercial fixtures and the birds love them. :D

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
Update:

Our Grey seems to be MUCH happier now that she can see better in the living room. I know its not 'completely' due to the bulbs....but i'm sure they've helped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.