• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full Spectrum Bird Lights

Jogging around the block
Are darker rooms bad for birds? Mine get natural light, but not a lot of it as the window is small, and filtered through a window. I use a regular lightbulb to make the room lighter for them, but it's just a regular lightbulb without UVA or UVB.
I've been looking into Full Spectrum Lighting designed specifically for birds, to replace the regular old lightbulb, to hopefully make them healthier. I have heard artificial non full spectrum lights without natural lighting can affect their skin, feather and bone health which is the reason I am looking at changing.
Which I wanted to ask some questions about.
1 - Is there a specific brand/bulb that is recommended? (hopefully one that is able to ship to NZ)
2 - Do the bulbs just screw in where average lightbulbs are put?
3 - Are they safe? Is there a better alternative to these bulbs?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use a full spectrum bulb that does not boast UVB. UVB is really only cast off in measurable amounts for about 12 inches, and being that close can cause eye damage.

Full spectrum lighting though is beneficial because it lets them see their full color spectrum :)