• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

FSL Bulbs... Will They Fit in a Regular Light Fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can someone tell me if the FSL bulbs will fit in a regular overhead light fixture?

I have been wanted to get some bulbs but didn't want to spend the big $$$ if they didn't fit in our exisiting overhead lights.

Ginger

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
Yes, they will Ginger:
Full Spectrum 15w light bulb by FeatherBrite

The only issue might be the shape of the fixture, but they should fit into any socket that will accept an incandescent bulb or a CFL bulb. The only time I've had problems is with fixtures that have a globe on them. Sometimes the globe will not fit over the bulb, however with a full-spectrum light, you will not be using a globe so I guess it does not matter :D

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ginger, I use these bulbs:
Buy Avitech Avilux Full Spectrum Bulb 20 watt - Bird Miscellaneous Online at Arcata Pet Supplies

And they fit into a regular light socket, including the ones that we have globe covers for :)
It makes SUCH a difference in your house! We put full spectrum lighting all through our kitchen area, and of course in the bird area. If I'm feeling a little blue, I just go bask with the birds under the light for a while and you'd be surprised at the difference it makes. Its very much worth the price.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Should all the light bulb sockets get a FSL or can you mix with regular energy efficient bulbs?

I have a fan/light fixture with 5 sockets for bulbs. Should all 5 get FSL?

Ginger

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I think that if you want the maximum benefit from the lights then you should replace all of them with FSL bulbs. However, you can save a little cash and only replace one or two of them at a time.

There is some debate on how effective these bulbs are and one of the issues is the distance between you/the birds and the bulb. I think that the more bulbs you have, the better your chances of getting some benefit from them. Unfortunately, they are expensive.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I once got the advice on full spectrum lighting that they aren't all created equal.
You want to have 5500 Kelvin, with a CRI as close to 96 (or above) as possible. Also, check for UVA and UVB output. I can't remember the specs on that...
Jamie is right, start by replacing two at a time. I currently have all full spectrum lighting in the kitchen/dining area, but I only have 2 lights in the living room area that are FSL.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I was wondering this, too. I've been wanting to get some for the bird room and my room but I can't find them in any stores so far and I can't order online right now.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What watt should I get? 20 or 26? Is the higher wattage mean it's brighter like in regular light bulbs?

Ginger

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Yes, the higher the wattage, the brighter the light, just like incandescent bulbs. I found this chart for CFLs and I am guessing that the wattages for FSL bulbs would be the same as a CFL:

Table 1. Comparable Wattage of CFLs and Incandescents
Incandescent Wattage CFL Wattage
25 5
50 9
60 15
75 20
100 25
120 28
150 39

So a 20 watt CFL/FSL would have the equivalent brightness of a 75 watt incandescent bulb.

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/lighting_daylighting/index.cfm/mytopic=12060

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
cool ... please let us know what you think of them once you've had them installed for a while.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I would like to know how you like them too Ginger!

Status
Not open for further replies.