• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated amazon mom

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is Inca's new cage and natural wood perch.. It's detachable and can be expanded if required... I'll start a new thread asking advice for its arrangements.

Attachments

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
You might not be too happy w/ this ... I take it that this cage will be set up upright, as in the pic. Have you considered to set it up 'long-wise'...? Horizontal. Looks like you might have room onn the table where his current cage is. I'd think birds will travel back and forth more readily than they do up and down. [So more of the cage would be be utilized]. I haven't had Amazons for quite a while [20 yr], so just remembering how I'd think their behavior would react. He's going to really enjoy that cage!!! :bliss:

Are the cage wires 1/2" x 1/2" or 1" x 1" ? [can't see it too well from the pic]. If it is the smaller, than make sure you wash it down w/ vinegar to remove the surface galvanization. Guess you'd have to do that w/ the 1" size also, but it's easier. There was another thread regarding this danger, suggesting this washing done on a regular basis [can't remember how often] since the galvaization will resurface...

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes I was thinking about placing it horizontally, but it can be expanded also if required. Please, tell me what's the use of vinegar? I am not aware of it.
My main problem is, Inca is scared of the cage... I have kept it near him. He continues to eye it suspiciously.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I don’t like the bar spacing on that thing, the material, the size, and lack of outdoor access for standard bowls That looks like a rabbit cage or something.

You can’t even scratch his head between the bars, and I would be scared to see him climbing around that thing with that tiny grid spacing.

You want a powder coated parrot cage, price around $500. That cage is asking for trouble.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Yes I was thinking about placing it horizontally, but it can be expanded also if required. Please, tell me what's the use of vinegar? I am not aware of it.
My main problem is, Inca is scared of the cage... I have kept it near him. He continues to eye it suspiciously.
It is ALOT LARGER/ TALLER than he is, standing tall like that over his head! Can't blame him for giving it the once, twice, three times over! Not sure if you have room near his cage to lay it on its side for a couple of days. [I might cover him up while you reposition it, to prevent him seeing it move].

Vinegar is supposed to remove the surface chemical galvanization of the wire [put on it by manufacturer to prevent rust]. Unfortunately, it's been said that it does come back to surface eventually. BUT, I had used that kind of 'small animal cage' for raising my Lovebirds, buying them used and removing a portion of cage to tie two cages into one larger. But, ALWAYS ask a professional--- sure don't want to harm your birds!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I don’t like the bar spacing on that thing, the material, the size, and lack of outdoor access for standard bowls That looks like a rabbit cage or something.

You can’t even scratch his head between the bars, and I would be scared to see him climbing around that thing with that tiny grid spacing.

You want a powder coated parrot cage, price around $500. That cage is asking for trouble.
A good substitute for a $500 cage... is a used one! Check w/ pet stores or vets to see if they have any used ones. Clean them well before use.

One cage spacing that I liked was the 1x1" size, or even the 1x2" or 1x3"... More inexpensive than a stainless steel or powder coated, but again, it is galvanized and has to be pre-treated w/ the vinegar to remove the coating...

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Act
A good substitute for a $500 cage... is a used one! Check w/ pet stores or vets to see if they have any used ones. Clean them well before use.

One cage spacing that I liked was the 1x1" size, or even the 1x2" or 1x3"... More inexpensive than a stainless steel or powder coated, but again, it is galvanized and has to be pre-treated w/ the vinegar to remove the coating...
[/QUOTActually, this cage is something I can afford now, powder coated or steel cages not available right now due to covid lockdown effect. But used cages are great idea... I will start searching for them. Thank you so much.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I've even looked & found them on Craigslist, if you have that where your at.

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
Have you tried using a dowel rod to pick him up from the floor? If he is uncomfortable in the environment he will gladly step up on the dowel rod to get off of the ground. Not as traumatic as toweling. This usually only works if they are on the floor and freaked out. If you were to try to approach with the dowel rod while he is in the cage, for example, it would freak him out.
The advice about sitting by him and letting him get to know you is really good. He needs to be comfortable with your presence so he can trust you. But you also have to get him out of his comfort zone sometimes. That's why someone suggested that you take apart the cage at the top. He won't have that security of the cage and will be more likely to explore. The cage is his security blanket. But don't do it aggressively. You have to read his body language, get him out of his comfort zone, let him get to know you, all while building his trust. Reading body language is so important when training and living with parrots but especially amazons.
Also whomever said it's only been 3 months is right. So dont be so hard on yourself, you are doing great!

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
Oh also, I'm not a fan of that cage either. It is bigger than the other cage but it's not going to be easy to live with and the material it's made of could be toxic, I'm not sure. Where do you live? I can help find something if you would like. I dont like to spend more money than I have to, I love the hunt :D;)
Not this specific one but this is the type of cage everyone is talking about.
Screenshot_20210308-003930_Chrome.jpg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried using a dowel rod to pick him up from the floor? If he is uncomfortable in the environment he will gladly step up on the dowel rod to get off of the ground. Not as traumatic as toweling. This usually only works if they are on the floor and freaked out. If you were to try to approach with the dowel rod while he is in the cage, for example, it would freak him out.
The advice about sitting by him and letting him get to know you is really good. He needs to be comfortable with your presence so he can trust you. But you also have to get him out of his comfort zone sometimes. That's why someone suggested that you take apart the cage at the top. He won't have that security of the cage and will be more likely to explore. The cage is his security blanket. But don't do it aggressively. You have to read his body language, get him out of his comfort zone, let him get to know you, all while building his trust. Reading body language is so important when training and living with parrots but especially amazons.
Also whomever said it's only been 3 months is right. So dont be so hard on yourself, you are doing great!
Thank you so much. In the meantime, situation has improved a bit, my bird now loves head scrathes from the cage bars. He always asks for more. So, I think he may not be panicked like before now. I'll let him out slowly.
Yes, the hand held dowel perch does freak him out when he's inside the cage. Hope he'll find it useful outside.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh also, I'm not a fan of that cage either. It is bigger than the other cage but it's not going to be easy to live with and the material it's made of could be toxic, I'm not sure. Where do you live? I can help find something if you would like. I dont like to spend more money than I have to, I love the hunt :D;)
View attachment 375627
I am in India, due to covid situation these things are not available now. But I hope in few months we'll be able to get them, markets are opening here slowly. Thanks again for your help and support.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
View attachment 375627
That’s a great buy!!!