• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated amazon mom

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks a ton... This thread is very encouraging. What's that book you're mentioning? Can I find it online, as PDF?
Great question. I can't remember!!!!

When I started with the amazons I read everything. I mean EVERYTHING I could get my hands on. Bought stacks of old magazines about amazons off of eBay. Googled. Traveled to far away states for seminars. Bought books.

Phoenix Landing was the best seminar I attended (once every other year full weekend thing). Barbara Heidenreich was the best bird person I met, probably because she was just genuinely nice (and owns an Amazon).

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@SumitaSinh
Don't be surprised if your floof is afraid of the tree stand @ 1st. Put it near the cage if possible where they can see it & slowly move it towards the cage (lkke over s week) then attach it. They are very wary of New things & My Buddy is afraid of anything as big as his body. Also colors of red & white depending on his mood... & What they are for in relation to him. Birds can be a little odd! :wacky:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great question. I can't remember!!!!

When I started with the amazons I read everything. I mean EVERYTHING I could get my hands on. Bought stacks of old magazines about amazons off of eBay. Googled. Traveled to far away states for seminars. Bought books.

Phoenix Landing was the best seminar I attended (once every other year full weekend thing). Barbara Heidenreich was the best bird person I met, probably because she was just genuinely nice (and owns an Amazon).
Yes, every day I search for study materials about amazons on internet... But a authentic book will be great. Today I found a book by Barbara H - 'good bird'... Is it that book you recommend?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, every day I search for study materials about amazons on internet... But a authentic book will be great. Today I found a book by Barbara H - 'good bird'... Is it that book you recommend?
Actually that book recommendation was made by someone else in that thread. No WONDER I couldn't remember it! :embarassed:

However, check out Barbara Heidenreich's store on HER site:

There's a webinar she's offering for free there and some of the other titles may be what you're looking for.

I'll look this week to see what books I have.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually that book recommendation was made by someone else in that thread. No WONDER I couldn't remember it! :embarassed:

However, check out Barbara Heidenreich's store on HER site:

There's a webinar she's offering for free there and some of the other titles may be what you're looking for.

I'll look this week to see what books I have.
Thank you so much. Today I started the following method.

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
O
Doesn't have very much head room in that cage. All the 'stable' perches are above the door opening--- no wonder why he hesitates on coming out.
Okk, got it. I have placed a branch from his perch to outside. Hope it'll work. He doesn't prefer coming down to the floor of the cage. His new cage is 4' tall.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now, let me describe today's disastrous incidence.... I was coaxing Inca out of her cage by showing him some treat. I placed a branch obliquely, from inside to outside of the cage. He was coming to take the treat reluctantly. When his half body is out of the cage, the branch slipped and he took a free flight in panic. It was pandemonium. Ultimately I had to towel him to his cage(sigh). I think entire process will be delayed by this incident. Now I am super- frustrated with myself, I am a worthless mom.
Only positive thing, my baby is not angry with me, he took treats from me after that.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Now, let me describe today's disastrous incidence.... I was coaxing Inca out of her cage by showing him some treat. I placed a branch obliquely, from inside to outside of the cage. He was coming to take the treat reluctantly. When his half body is out of the cage, the branch slipped and he took a free flight in panic. It was pandemonium. Ultimately I had to towel him to his cage(sigh). I think entire process will be delayed by this incident. Now I am super- frustrated with myself, I am a worthless mom.
Only positive thing, my baby is not angry with me, he took treats from me after that.
Where was he/what was he doing that you felt the need to towel him?

Couldn’t you have let him chill out, and maybe he would get back to the cage on his own?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where was he/what was he doing that you felt the need to towel him?

Couldn’t you have let him chill out, and maybe he would get back to the cage on his own?
Problem was, he directly flew to my in-laws room, (they stay with me). My mom in law is ill, so I didn't have any option. Next time I will try with their door closed.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad you are getting a new cage. He needs a bigger more stable cage. That door could come down & hit him. He has no room in that cage. It was temporary. He'll get more exercise in a bigger cage.
Glad he seems to have shaken off the towel incident but make sure its safe for him to come out next time.

Its good that he is trying to come to you for treats.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
O

Okk, got it. I have placed a branch from his perch to outside. Hope it'll work. He doesn't prefer coming down to the floor of the cage. His new cage is 4' tall.
No... I saw that in your picture [unless you added one from the smaller plastic one going lengthwise that he was sitting on...

OHH-- new cage!! ? 4' sounds wonderful! I do like your nice variety of different sized perches; just make sure they're all well attached/ stable... When I had access to many trees, I would cut the branch to [slightly larger for trimming later] size and after washing, while still green--- would entertwine in the cage--- As the wood matured, would harden and be pretty solid, wedged in place.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No... I saw that in your picture [unless you added one from the smaller plastic one going lengthwise that he was sitting on...

OHH-- new cage!! ? 4' sounds wonderful! I do like your nice variety of different sized perches; just make sure they're all well attached/ stable... When I had access to many trees, I would cut the branch to [slightly larger for trimming later] size and after washing, while still green--- would entertwine in the cage--- As the wood matured, would harden and be pretty solid, wedged in place.
Great idea, green branches... I just place those perches in places, all the cutting, trimming done by him.. Lol

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
You are NOT a WORTHLESS MOM!!! :swoon:

We all [hopefully] do what we have to do/ must do... Our birds know that we're trying to help them. See-- he took treats from you AFTER that!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are NOT a WORTHLESS MOM!!! :swoon:

We all [hopefully] do what we have to do/ must do... Our birds know that we're trying to help them. See-- he took treats from you AFTER that!
Thank you for cheering me up, I was feeling terrible.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrots forgive... I'm sure your going to be ok w/ the little timeslot that went haywire.

But (I know this may not be possible, just advising) I wouldn't have them coming down to the floor if you can prevent it... I mention this because it encourages them to go onto the floor. We've had parrots get severely hurt or MUCH worse because they were stepped on or kicked because of floor adventures. If you could put the cage on a table top & have Inca's stick onto the table it would be far better for them... Yes parrots get to floors : some (like grey's) are ground birds more than others. It's not a horrible thing (as a well supervised event) on occasion. I know when space is crunched you may have no other options but until you & Inca get to know one another & you can better predict their actions & reactions you may want to hold off w/ the floor things for now.

I hope I haven't offended, I think your doing great! Trying new stuff w/ them is how we all learn. You obviously care about Inca & I just don't want them to be harmed!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrots forgive... I'm sure your going to be ok w/ the little timeslot that went haywire.

But (I know this may not be possible, just advising) I wouldn't have them coming down to the floor if you can prevent it... I mention this because it encourages them to go onto the floor. We've had parrots get severely hurt or MUCH worse because they were stepped on or kicked because of floor adventures. If you could put the cage on a table top & have Inca's stick onto the table it would be far better for them... Yes parrots get to floors : some (like grey's) are ground birds more than others. It's not a horrible thing (as a well supervised event) on occasion. I know when space is crunched you may have no other options but until you & Inca get to know one another & you can better predict their actions & reactions you may want to hold off w/ the floor things for now.

I hope I haven't offended, I think your doing great! Trying new stuff w/ them is how we all learn. You obviously care about Inca & I just don't want them to be harmed!
Thank you so much for your valuable advice... Yes, he doesn't prefer coming to the floor... I'll put some standing perch.