• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated amazon mom

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been nearly three months after inca joined our family. Recently I started feeling bit frustrated with my capacity as a parront. I can't get Inca out of his cage, he's still scared of hands and t-perch, I am also not confident about handling him (my mom scratches his beak occasionally).
On the positive side, Inca is happy in his cage... He appreciates treats, allows feeding him from outside the cage and always verbally communicate with everyone. But physical contact is still no no. How can I make him understand that there's a life waiting for him outside his cage! Bdw, his new cage is ready, but he's scared of it.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Does your current cage open from the top? My old (now travel) cage had a smallish door and Neelu-Peelu would only come out from the top. It changed when they got their bigger cage with a bigger door....

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does your current cage open from the top? My old (now travel) cage had a smallish door and Neelu-Peelu would only come out from the top. It changed when they got their bigger cage with a bigger door....
No, it has a guillotine type door

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
No, it has a guillotine type door
I was actually referring to its top, many cages in India do not have a secure lock but just a platform so you could easily open it and close it later. You can see it in the picture I'll post ;)
Unfortunately to open your cage from the top, you'll need a pair of pliers to bend your latch, its just a bit more secure. :shrug: Lets just wait and see ideas from others....

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I actually looked at other pics you posted, you can definitely open from the top (on the first pic I saw the angle was a bit weird so I got confused), just push one side in a little and bring the latch out, and then repeat for all latches on all 4 sides. ;)
Here you can see the latch can be opened.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Is it so? I am going to try it
Yes, you could try it. Like I said, it was the only way I could get my budgies leave their old cage. Now that they have a bigger cage door, they will easily come out. Remember to take it slowly step by step by step and reward him when he gets out with his favourite treat. And don't be surprised when he dashes for the curtains :lol: . If he won't come out, then maybe lure him with a treat ;).

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, you could try it. Like I said, it was the only way I could get my budgies leave their old cage. Now that they have a bigger cage door, they will easily come out. Remember to take it slowly step by step by step and reward him when he gets out with his favourite treat. And don't be surprised when he dashes for the curtains :lol: . If he won't come out, then maybe lure him with a treat ;).
Why for curtain? I remember my cockatiel dashed directly to water filter, haha

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would prop the door open and leave food just outside within easy reach for him to grab on his own terms, and slowly increase the distance from the cage. Removing the top of the cage takes away the only place in the world he feels safe right now.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would prop the door open and leave food just outside within easy reach for him to grab on his own terms, and slowly increase the distance from the cage. Removing the top of the cage takes away the only place in the world he feels safe right now.
Yes, I also thought that... He may become overwhelmed. Till now he's scared of any outside food. I'll keep trying

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, I also thought that... He may become overwhelmed. Till now he's scared of any outside food. I'll keep trying
Whatever he normally eats put in the bowl just outside his cage, and remove his food bowl from in the cage. Don't stand around and watch, let him do it on his own terms. Give him a couple hours before giving him his in cage bowl again. (We don't want to starve the poor guy!)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
New parrots take time to LET you earn THEIR trust. Go slow, let Inca go @ his/her time but little coaxer's like starting & the begining of the front to of the cage w/ food or treats will encourage them to come out or @ the begining of a door.

Sometimes just sitting next to their cages & chatting w/ them or reading a book internet or newspaper helps. Remember to also move slowly especially w/ your arms & hands when your near them & their cage.

Welcome to the Amazon Avenue area of AA. Inca looks pretty!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
3 months isn't long.

You have a LIFETIME!

Maybe EVENTUALLY put a tree stand beside of the door that he can climb onto. Put something on the tree stand that spurs his interest.

He's not a tame animal. Things outside his cage can EAT HIM. Put a tree stand somewhere and slowly move it closer.

I'm remembering a post about a timid gray called cowboy. The lady had to rehome her parrots because of her lungs. She loved them so much..... her love for Cowboy, well...... let me see if I can find it.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
3 months isn't long.

You have a LIFETIME!

Maybe EVENTUALLY put a tree stand beside of the door that he can climb onto. Put something on the tree stand that spurs his interest.

He's not a tame animal. Things outside his cage can EAT HIM. Put a tree stand somewhere and slowly move it closer.

I'm remembering a post about a timid gray called cowboy. The lady had to rehome her parrots because of her lungs. She loved them so much..... her love for Cowboy, well...... let me see if I can find it.
Thank you, actually I was making a tree stand yesterday.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I found a few threads but I'm having eye issues and can't find the one I want. Sorry. I'll try later

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohho, plz take care of yourself

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ocular migraines.....

So this was the post I remembered. Check out post #14 of this thread how Cowboy first came out of the cage on his own.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ocular migraines.....

So this was the post I remembered. Check out post #14 of this thread how Cowboy first came out of the cage on his own.

Thanks a ton... This thread is very encouraging. What's that book you're mentioning? Can I find it online, as PDF?