• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruits and veggies?

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
Hi,
Does anyone know any good fruits and veggies for a parakeet? I'm a bit nervous to give her anything that may be toxic.

Thanks!

Grace

Meeting neighbors
All the budgies I have ever had liked leafy greens. I buy bags of the organic spring mix, rinse it off thoroughly, leave it wet and clip to the side of the cage. It may take a few tries to get them interested.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Generally budgies don't eat fruit. I chop fresh veggies every day and sprinkle with some millet seed. It's a mix of brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, kale, red peppers, red cabbage and if I can get it dandelion. Chopped very small or put in a food processor. It took my birds about two weeks to get into it. I serve it in a shallow dish because it's easier for them to eat that way.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
Generally budgies don't eat fruit. I chop fresh veggies every day and sprinkle with some millet seed. It's a mix of brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, kale, red peppers, red cabbage and if I can get it dandelion. Chopped very small or put in a food processor. It took my birds about two weeks to get into it. I serve it in a shallow dish because it's easier for them to eat that way.
Hmm... Wild dandelions? The ones with the fluff tops and yellow flowers? My parakeet is super picky =L

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dandelion greens are the top when it comes to nutrition however do not feed the greens from a lawn or other area unless you have planted the organic seeds in organic soil. These greens can be found in stores like Wegmans or Whole Foods. They are short lived. If you are lucky enough to find any wash the greens well and hang from the top of the bird cage in a bag clip. Budgies and other small birds love to eat hanging wet greens.