• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruit to vegetable ratio for conure food

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Pellets haven't arrived from Petsmart's online ordering yet so the Green Cheek Conure has been pretty much living on fresh fruit, vegetables and some seeds since he came here. I've only had experience with lovebirds in the past (they never liked fruit) so I'm still not certain how much fruit I should offer vs how much vegetables should be offered. I've been offering him 1-2 different kinds of fruit a day and the rest has been 3-4 different vegetables like snap peas, broccoli, fresh ginger, zucchini etc.
Fruit I've offered is a Macintosh apple, fresh cranberries (big hit) and kiwis. Now I kind of assume the amount of fruit you offer also depends on the natural sugar content of the fruit, like if one had higher sugar you'd offer less but if you had a lower sugar fruit (cranberries aren't too high in natural sugars last I checked) you could offer more.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
That sounds fine. More veggies is better as well is adding sprouts daily. I know people avoid fruits because of sugar content, but as long as it doesn't make up the majority it is fine. Plus birds enjoy them, esp cranberries since they are in season right now

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can add some grains to that. Rice, quinoa, barley, oats.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Limit fruits to perhaps 1-2 a week.