• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruit juice in water?

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Hey guys, so my budgies are refusing all types of fruits and veggies I give them! I have not given up hope yet. I wanted to know, for the time being can I put a bit of fruit juice in their water? By fruit juice I mean could I squeeze a fruit (like a orange) and let them have some of the juice in their water? Hope that made sense! Sorry about the title, I couldn't think of anything else:shy:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is little benefit to doing this. Fruit juice is basically just sugar with a bit of vitamins. Eating the flesh of the fruit with the juice is where there is a health benefit, as the fiber helps to slow the rate at which the sugar is absorbed.

Adding it to water also introduces bacteria, and bacteria love sugar. So it potentially can cause health issues too.

Here are some ideas that may help:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The only times that I used fruit juice was in a syringe to practice for giving medication. The sweet taste can be helpful.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would also add that budgies are generally not big fruit eaters. They tend to prefer veggies and might not eat any fruit. Trying to get them to eat fruit they don't like isn't really worth the extra effort in my opinion, since fruit is pretty high in sugar and light on nutrients. It doesn't add that much to their diet.

Better to focus on offering chop and fresh greens.

KKBB

Walking the driveway
There is little benefit to doing this. Fruit juice is basically just sugar with a bit of vitamins. Eating the flesh of the fruit with the juice is where there is a health benefit, as the fiber helps to slow the rate at which the sugar is absorbed.

Adding it to water also introduces bacteria, and bacteria love sugar. So it potentially can cause health issues too.

Here are some ideas that may help:

Okay, thank you. I didn't realize that it didn't have a lot of minerals!

KKBB

Walking the driveway
I would also add that budgies are generally not big fruit eaters. They tend to prefer veggies and might not eat any fruit. Trying to get them to eat fruit they don't like isn't really worth the extra effort in my opinion, since fruit is pretty high in sugar and light on nutrients. It doesn't add that much to their diet.

Better to focus on offering chop and fresh greens.
Okay, thank you! :)