• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruit and veggies indian ringneck

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi how much fruit and veg should I feedmy indian ringneck I understand they require a higher fruit percentages in thier diet compared to other birds.

Today I gave him a bit of mango watermelon and carrot

Yesterday apple carrot watermelon

Most of the time however I give him broccoli carrot blueberries and things like that.

The variety I give him are grapes, blueberries,apples, bananas, watermelon, mango,carrot, broccoli

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
bump

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Mantis64 It sounds like you are doing the right thing!

I offer a mix each day or about 7 options. Technically it becomes more because I also give sprouts which are an additional mix. Sometimes there are more options, sometimes fewer when I haven't made it to the shops. Though 7 is my goal for veggies and fruit. Try offering more tropical fruits and use temperate fruits as a treat. Berries are great options. Also lots of orange veg and fruit!

If you can also offer flower blossoms. I can buy them in the organic section at my grocer.

Mantis64

Would tropical fruits be things like mango, watermelon, papaya and passion fruit. What type do you feed to your bird.

He loves his fruit and veg can't get enough of it.

Mantis64

At first I was hesitant to give more than a few pieces of fruit and veg a day because it makes his poop watery but when I found out it was natural for them to eat fruit and that it should be a major part of thier diet I started feeding him more now he seems a lot more happy and energetic.

It wont cause any health effects will it if he is having watery poop. Can having watery poop effect his health in any way

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Tropical fruits are fruits that need tropical climates to grow...... mango and pineapples are tropical fruits

Mantis64

Tropical fruits are fruits that need tropical climates to grow...... mango and pineapples are tropical fruits
Thanks for the reply Shezbug can I ask you a quick questions about birds in general do you think if I got another Indian ringneck he would be more happy I would keep them in separate cages and out of play time would be supervised. Sometimes I just feel like he needs a friend even in the same room as him when I'm not there so that they can see each other. It upsetted me further when I found out just how social indian ringnecks can be and that they are a lot more independent than other spieces. I understand another bird is a huge commitment and my whole family is on board and supporting the idea haven't decided as of yet. I understand that means the cost of toys food and vet Bill's will increase.

Thanks for your advice about tropical fruits

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wow! Like just wow!! How dare you ask me this...... my head will be spinning more than usual now for the rest of the day lol.

I personally think all beings (birds, people, any and all other animals) are all much happier and more mentally stable being around someone they can personally identify with.

I do not think I would like to be kept somewhere I did not choose to be (no matter now fun and nice it is) with only the company of something else chosen for me that spoke a completely different language to me and had full control of when they would interact with me..... I think after some time it would be a very sad, disturbing and isolating feeling.

I honestly find this a very interesting thing to think about and I am often finding myself completely engrossed with thoughts on this solitary life situation/ issue we humans keep many "pets' in. I am not really a very social person and I much prefer time on my own or with my chosen animal companions to anything else in the world, but, even I, from time to time need and want some human company to re ground me, remind me of the important things in life or to recharge my soul. I think there is a good reason most animals at zoos are kept in pairs or groups, jails even have limited time allowances for solitary punishments, nature never shows you healthy animals living in isolation full time.
As much as I would like to say I am enough company for Burt, I personally think I would be completely lying to say he could not have a better connection with his own kind. I do think it is beneficial for birds to have other birds in their life to communicate with but I also know of many many birds who lived what seems to have been a very satisfactory life with human companionship alone.

This is a topic that I am sure could have valid arguments both ways. Ask yourself how you would like to live the rest of your life never being able to speak to, wave to, smile and laugh with or hug another human and then tell me if you think the human emotions for these things should be assigned to this topic/ situation given that birds do not feel emotions the same as us.

I can not answer this correctly for you- only you can ;)

Mantis64

Wow! Like just wow!! How dare you ask me this...... my head will be spinning more than usual now for the rest of the day lol.

I personally think all beings (birds, people, any and all other animals) are all much happier and more mentally stable being around someone they can personally identify with.

I do not think I would like to be kept somewhere I did not choose to be (no matter now fun and nice it is) with only the company of something else chosen for me that spoke a completely different language to me and had full control of when they would interact with me..... I think after some time it would be a very sad, disturbing and isolating feeling.

I honestly find this a very interesting thing to think about and I am often finding myself completely engrossed with thoughts on this solitary life situation/ issue we humans keep many "pets' in. I am not really a very social person and I much prefer time on my own or with my chosen animal companions to anything else in the world, but, even I, from time to time need and want some human company to re ground me, remind me of the important things in life or to recharge my soul. I think there is a good reason most animals at zoos are kept in pairs or groups, jails even have limited time allowances for solitary punishments, nature never shows you healthy animals living in isolation full time.
As much as I would like to say I am enough company for Burt, I personally think I would be completely lying to say he could not have a better connection with his own kind. I do think it is beneficial for birds to have other birds in their life to communicate with but I also know of many many birds who lived what seems to have been a very satisfactory life with human companionship alone.

This is a topic that I am sure could have valid arguments both ways. Ask yourself how you would like to live the rest of your life never being able to speak to, wave to, smile and laugh with or hug another human and then tell me if you think the human emotions for these things should be assigned to this topic/ situation given that birds do not feel emotions the same as us.

I can not answer this correctly for you- only you can ;)
Sorry if I upset I wasn't trying to do that

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry if I upset I wasn't trying to do that
No no no..... you did not upset me at all!! Lol. I honestly think about this exact question you asked all the time and I just try to imagine life from Burt's point of view and how I would feel in his birdie shoes. I also try to see how birds react to other birds and I honestly feel that Burt is missing out on some of the quality things in life like relationships with his own kind.

Put a you tube video on of the same kind of bird as yours then put a video on of your bird...... tell me if there is a difference in your birds reaction. Burt reacts so much different when he sees another macaw on the screen than how he reacts if it is him. I feel so sad for Burt after watching other macaws in pairs or small groups- they communicate so different to how they do with us.

Mantis64

No no no..... you did not upset me at all!! Lol. I honestly think about this exact question you asked all the time and I just try to imagine life from Burt's point of view and how I would feel in his birdie shoes. I also try to see how birds react to other birds and I honestly feel that Burt is missing out on some of the quality things in life like relationships with his own kind.

Put a you tube video on of the same kind of bird as yours then put a video on of your bird...... tell me if there is a difference in your birds reaction. Burt reacts so much different when he sees another macaw on the screen than how he reacts if it is him. I feel so sad for Burt after watching other macaws in pairs or small groups- they communicate so different to how they do with us.
Me too I think about this question every day as well.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have kept birds signally in the past. Now I have a small flock and I feel really bad about my past birds. Birds seem to really enjoy having other birds to interact with. It is true that it creates more work for me. More cleaning and more time balancing. I have two birds that don't get along and they will even fight to the point of ripping feathers when near their cages. However though they are NOT best friends, they are neighbors and they are flock. They chirp to each other and call out to warn the other of dangerous *butterflies* flapping by the windows. I think part of the problem is we view flock as best friend, but flock is more of a society. Not everyone in the flock needs to be best friends. They are still able to chat with their neighbor if they want. It is easier when all the birds get along though clearly, but it isn't required! It does make more work for us.

Idk, it is a tough question. There is no easy answer. I just know that when I was at a sanctuary, they had a massive aviary.. multiple stories high and the birds could do whatever they wanted. If they wanted they could fly out of the range of humans and perch high in the sky. They could make friends with birds they enjoyed, but there was enough room for them to keep distance from birds they didn't care for. They have relationship much like the social species of humans. Some like their own time, some like to be social all day, some like to focus on building and destruction, some like to eat and eat! And most interesting some birds find humans to be curious and interesting creatures. Even though they didn't need to they landed on me and wanted to spend time with me, a strange human. They don't allow treats or bribes in the aviary. The bird were just cross-species curious, in the same way I was to them.

I actually hope in the next several years to expand my flock. Probably when I buy a house so I have the ability to convert half of the house into a bird paradise. Birdies should never be completely alone, during daylight hours. If their human isn't home nearly all the time, I think they need a friend. If their human is home all the time it is possible, but the human is giving their life over to their bird. The bird deserves that.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I feed vegetable chop to mine and fruit as treats, as I have never read that IRN's need lots of fruit? Where did you read that they need high amounts of fruits so I can look see if I need to change Mojo's diet. haha

I know some like Eclectus need more fruit & veg rather than pellets and seeds.

I personally believe birds should have companions of their own kind, Mojo only alone as I've yet to find an IRN who needs a home.

Mantis64

Indian Ringneck and Alexandrine parrots originate from the forests of Asia – they are accustomed to a richer diet than Australian desert parrots. They are canopy feeders and their diets include more fats and fruits.