• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruit and Veggie Purees for Weaning Babies?

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Has anyone given fruit and veggie purees to babies as they begin the weaning process? I did some looking around and read in some places that offering a bit of puree of fresh fruit and veggie by spoon as babies begin to start learning to eat food on their own. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm planning on getting a food processor to help make preparing food a bit easier since it's a quick mince up of everything. If I can make like a chunky puree and warm it like making baby food, would that be beneficial to a baby bird as it weans onto adult food? Of course I'd keep the pelleted food I plan to feed available. Maybe I could put some of the pellets into the puree and slowly add more pellet?

Thoughts?

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
At the shop when they were weaning my boys they always offered fresh chop alongside the pellets. It's why they absolutely love their fresh food.

In my understanding birds wean when they decide it's time, so even if they don't eat the chop, just make sure it's always available. When they do wean they'll be comfortable with it and my boys ate it no problem.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is common for us to offer mashed veggies - sweet potatoes is usually a hit.

After your formula feed, offer the mash either on a spoon or on a plate, see which peaks the birds interest more. Allow them to explore it, so don´t push it on them. If they don´t take to it, you can try sprinkling some millet on top of the mash ;)