• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frozen vs fresh, hand chop vs food processor

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I've changed the way I make chop and would like to see if others are successfully doing similar things.
  • Buying frozen organic veg and fruits rather then fresh. I can order from the Kroger store around the corner and pick it up when it fits my schedule. This is a time saver compared to driving to the Sprouts Market where they have an excellent selection of fresh but takes me an extra hour of shopping.
  • Hand chop rather than use a processor. It seems counterintuitive, but I find hand chopping less messy and involved than using a food processor. With the processor I always ended up with mush mixed with large chunks. Maybe I don't know how to use the thing. Chopping the frozen veg with a knife is easier for me and I get consistent size chop.
  • Add chopped fruit to the veg just before serving. Chopping the fruit along with the veg makes the chop too mushy. Since our bird is an Eclectus, he gets a bit of fruit in every serving.
  • Making smaller batches. Instead of making a month's supply and freezing, I make about 4 days worth, store in a glass container (no plastic to leach bad things into the chop) and put it in the meat drawer of the fridge so it stays colder.
  • Adding spices and pepper flakes to the veg before chopping. I think it gets the spice into the veg better than just being mixed in.
I'm pretty happy with this process but would love to hear suggestions to make things easier.
There were days it took me 3 to 4 hours to shop for fresh veg, make the chop with a processor and prepare bags for the freezer. Then, it seemed that the chop was a lot much mushy and watery than when I've used flash-frozen bags of veg.

TIA!

halleyhoot

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi Jorns,

If your bird is eating the frozen vegetables well, I say keep up what is working. Frozen vegetables are still highly nutritious, convenient, and they are economical. I sometimes use frozen vegetables, but my BHPi prefers them fresh or dried.

I agree that shopping at specialty stores for organic produce to make large batches of chop is time consuming, as well as expensive. I invariably end up with too much of some items. I tried making big batches of chop to freeze, but like you, I didn't like the mushy, wet thawed result. My bird didn't like it much either. My solution was to join a local CSA that delivers a box of seasonal, farm fresh, organic produce every week. The whole family eats what comes in the box, including my Pi, so we all benefit. CSA boxes are typically a bargain compared to grocery stores, and the produce is beautiful. Yes, we get a lot of roots and greens in the winter, but that is part of eating seasonally. Off season, I supplement the CSA box with organic mini peppers and sweet potatoes from the store, as they are favorites. I rough chop a little of everything we receive and put that in a plastic deli container. Your glass container is definitely better. I may switch to that. I give him a cup of rough chopped veggies in or on his cage every couple of days. Daily, I put a little of the rough chop veg into a mini cordless food chopper. I love this particular chopper because it makes perfect little grains of food without pureeing anything. I mix the fine grained veggies with whatever whole grain concoction I have for him, usually quinoa, beans, and peas. I do freeze the cooked whole grain mix in small portions as I find it freezes very well. Most days I also add a dab of cooked sweet potato. I microwave a small sweet potato every 4-5 days for this. I mix the fine chopped veggies, grain mix, and sweet potato in a proportion of about 2:1:1. He eats this twice a day.

While I'm cooking during the week, I save a few large chunks of whatever I'm chopping to thread onto a birdie skewer the next day. I usually add a small bit of fruit to the skewer. I've found skewers to be the best way to get tons of veggies into a bird. Mine thinks it's a toy. It's fun to eat and fun to shred. There is a good but of waste, but the expense for what I use is nominal. I always include a big chunk of carrot or other hard vegetable because the wood-like texture is irresistible when hung up like a toy. He gets so excited when he sees me hang up the skewer. Definitely his favorite "toy". I also give him whole leaves of greens tossed onto or into his cage in a big pile or put into a foraging cage. The whole greens seem to attract him more than chopped greens. He loves the stems but also eats some leaves. The veggies I get in the CSA box almost always have their greens attached, so I use carrot, radish, and turnip greens, along with whatever other greens they send.

I also feed dried and freeze dried organic vegetables and what-nots along with an assortment of pellet brands (TOPs, Oven Fresh Bites, Roudybush, etc). I leave dry stuff in his sleeping cage at night to munch when he wakes up. I transfer the leftovers to his main cage to finish as snacks during the day. I buy the dried veggies and things from a lot of different companies. I get dry veggies and other things from the following places. I usually have a couple of different brands on hand so I can offer variety:

• Christine's Chop Shop - I don't think the food is all organic but my bird really likes everything they make. I like to keep a bag of their dried "chop" mix of vegetables on hand all of the time. My bird likes the crunch of the air dried and it's great to add into grain mixes when cooking. Sometimes I even eat it myself as an add-in for a quick soup or ramen.
  • Texas Natural Freeze Dried - I always buy the big beak assortments because the smaller cut things turn to dust so quickly. It's easy to break up anything too large. Along with lovely freeze dried vegetables, they make a sweet potato "cookie" thing that my bird gobbles up like I gave him a slice of pie. He didn't care much for the similar coconut one, but I imagine many birds would love that one too.
  • Phoenix Foraging Rolls- They have a beautiful assorted dry mix they call "unpellet". It's billed as a substitute for pellets but I feed it as a supplement. I like to cover all of the bases.
  • BirD-elicious - they have really top notch dried foods for birds, probably the nicest and most thoughtful I've seen. They make a mix that is supposed to be fed like pellets, as well as a lot of lovely dry veggie items. It's super pricy and they take a long time to ship, but the quality is the best out there. They also seem a little weird with their messaging to customers. If you've ever read the label on Dr. Bronner's soap, it's a bit like that. As with the soap, I just think of the messaging as amusing because the product is so great.
  • China Prairie - I don't buy from them often. Their food quality is great, but it is way to heavy in seeds and grains for my big eater bird. They have some freeze dried mixes, but there are others that are just as nice and cheaper. Also, the item I like most from them is insanely expensive...the "flourish" blends. They come in itty bitty packages and cost a mint. They smell incredible though and my bird definitely enjoys them. When I do buy, I just feed a little pinch with other things. Just enough to get the great smell into the other items.
If anybody knows of similar companies to the above, I'd love to hear about them. I'd also love to hear about what others are doing.

My bird isn't picky at all, as long as he gets good variety. He is spoiled by the CSA produce so I can't get away with much frozen. He loves to eat, as do most pionus. Obesity can be a problem for them. Since he wants to munch all day, I try to make the food he's eating between meals of chop mostly low calorie vegetables. I reserve nuts for treats/training, and limit fruit and seeds. Occasionally I grow sprouts, but usually I just buy them freeze dried from one of the above companies. I always end up with way more than I can use when I sprout, and it's a lot of trouble.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 4 piggy conures that refuse fresh vegetables but love freeze dried, they are on the road most days so easy to pack, serve and store. I do bulk from Karen's Naturals. Farm-fresh, Premium, Dried Fruits and Vegetables..

I get 1 pound bags of corn, peas, green beans (2) every three months. Shipping is free over $60.00.

I'm going to order FD banana from nutristore on Amazon this month as it is their favourite fruit but fresh does not hold up traveling and our car smells like dole plantation died in there.

clarousel

I don't own a food processor so recently when I made birdie bread, I hand chopped. I only made a small batch for my one budgie though so it wasn't much to chop but I found it much easier to clean up. Previously I used a small food blender thing and it's a pain to clean.

Preeno doesn't really eat chop but I'd like to try hand chopping to see if it's less mushy after freezing!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I make chop every 5 to 6 days. My base is a dark leafy green (bok choy, Swiss chard, collard greens, spinach). Next, I wash the greens with a salad spinner and then press the leaves in a paper towel to expel excess moisture. I have a food dehydrator so I use that to dehydrate peas, corn, green beans, baked carrots, baked sweet potatoes, Thai chili peppers, and mangoes. Then I add that to chopped leafy greens. The dehydrated vegetables plump up when mixed with the greens. Overall, this makes the chop less wet. If the chop is too wet my cockatiel won't eat it. I also like to hand chop my veggies so I can control the consistency as my birds hate the mushy consistency from a food processor.

I found that my birds didn't like greens in the 'stay fresh' containers. Fresh containers - for example like Earthbound - have a type of coating on them to keep the lettuce leaves fresh, and my birds must not have liked that coating, because when I switched to fresh, organic, bundled greens (no container)...they started eating dark leafy greens like mad!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi Jorns,

If your bird is eating the frozen vegetables well, I say keep up what is working. Frozen vegetables are still highly nutritious, convenient, and they are economical. I sometimes use frozen vegetables, but my BHPi prefers them fresh or dried.

I agree that shopping at specialty stores for organic produce to make large batches of chop is time consuming, as well as expensive. I invariably end up with too much of some items. I tried making big batches of chop to freeze, but like you, I didn't like the mushy, wet thawed result. My bird didn't like it much either. My solution was to join a local CSA that delivers a box of seasonal, farm fresh, organic produce every week. The whole family eats what comes in the box, including my Pi, so we all benefit. CSA boxes are typically a bargain compared to grocery stores, and the produce is beautiful. Yes, we get a lot of roots and greens in the winter, but that is part of eating seasonally. Off season, I supplement the CSA box with organic mini peppers and sweet potatoes from the store, as they are favorites. I rough chop a little of everything we receive and put that in a plastic deli container. Your glass container is definitely better. I may switch to that. I give him a cup of rough chopped veggies in or on his cage every couple of days. Daily, I put a little of the rough chop veg into a mini cordless food chopper. I love this particular chopper because it makes perfect little grains of food without pureeing anything. I mix the fine grained veggies with whatever whole grain concoction I have for him, usually quinoa, beans, and peas. I do freeze the cooked whole grain mix in small portions as I find it freezes very well. Most days I also add a dab of cooked sweet potato. I microwave a small sweet potato every 4-5 days for this. I mix the fine chopped veggies, grain mix, and sweet potato in a proportion of about 2:1:1. He eats this twice a day.

While I'm cooking during the week, I save a few large chunks of whatever I'm chopping to thread onto a birdie skewer the next day. I usually add a small bit of fruit to the skewer. I've found skewers to be the best way to get tons of veggies into a bird. Mine thinks it's a toy. It's fun to eat and fun to shred. There is a good but of waste, but the expense for what I use is nominal. I always include a big chunk of carrot or other hard vegetable because the wood-like texture is irresistible when hung up like a toy. He gets so excited when he sees me hang up the skewer. Definitely his favorite "toy". I also give him whole leaves of greens tossed onto or into his cage in a big pile or put into a foraging cage. The whole greens seem to attract him more than chopped greens. He loves the stems but also eats some leaves. The veggies I get in the CSA box almost always have their greens attached, so I use carrot, radish, and turnip greens, along with whatever other greens they send.

I also feed dried and freeze dried organic vegetables and what-nots along with an assortment of pellet brands (TOPs, Oven Fresh Bites, Roudybush, etc). I leave dry stuff in his sleeping cage at night to munch when he wakes up. I transfer the leftovers to his main cage to finish as snacks during the day. I buy the dried veggies and things from a lot of different companies. I get dry veggies and other things from the following places. I usually have a couple of different brands on hand so I can offer variety:

• Christine's Chop Shop - I don't think the food is all organic but my bird really likes everything they make. I like to keep a bag of their dried "chop" mix of vegetables on hand all of the time. My bird likes the crunch of the air dried and it's great to add into grain mixes when cooking. Sometimes I even eat it myself as an add-in for a quick soup or ramen.
  • Texas Natural Freeze Dried - I always buy the big beak assortments because the smaller cut things turn to dust so quickly. It's easy to break up anything too large. Along with lovely freeze dried vegetables, they make a sweet potato "cookie" thing that my bird gobbles up like I gave him a slice of pie. He didn't care much for the similar coconut one, but I imagine many birds would love that one too.
  • Phoenix Foraging Rolls- They have a beautiful assorted dry mix they call "unpellet". It's billed as a substitute for pellets but I feed it as a supplement. I like to cover all of the bases.
  • BirD-elicious - they have really top notch dried foods for birds, probably the nicest and most thoughtful I've seen. They make a mix that is supposed to be fed like pellets, as well as a lot of lovely dry veggie items. It's super pricy and they take a long time to ship, but the quality is the best out there. They also seem a little weird with their messaging to customers. If you've ever read the label on Dr. Bronner's soap, it's a bit like that. As with the soap, I just think of the messaging as amusing because the product is so great.
  • China Prairie - I don't buy from them often. Their food quality is great, but it is way to heavy in seeds and grains for my big eater bird. They have some freeze dried mixes, but there are others that are just as nice and cheaper. Also, the item I like most from them is insanely expensive...the "flourish" blends. They come in itty bitty packages and cost a mint. They smell incredible though and my bird definitely enjoys them. When I do buy, I just feed a little pinch with other things. Just enough to get the great smell into the other items.
If anybody knows of similar companies to the above, I'd love to hear about them. I'd also love to hear about what others are doing.

My bird isn't picky at all, as long as he gets good variety. He is spoiled by the CSA produce so I can't get away with much frozen. He loves to eat, as do most pionus. Obesity can be a problem for them. Since he wants to munch all day, I try to make the food he's eating between meals of chop mostly low calorie vegetables. I reserve nuts for treats/training, and limit fruit and seeds. Occasionally I grow sprouts, but usually I just buy them freeze dried from one of the above companies. I always end up with way more than I can use when I sprout, and it's a lot of trouble.
Others to look into are:

Avian Organics: Avian Organics The Largest Selection of Organic Parrot & Bird Food Online Bird Bread, Bird Mashes, Mixes, Freeze Dried Chop

Bodacious Birdie Bites: Bodacious Birdie Bites-Organic Freeze Dried Bird Food

Avian Naturals: Avian Naturals

Nuts.com, their custom trail mix option, but you can also buy freeze dried and dried goodies separately: Custom Mixes | Nuts.com

For sprouts I like Sprout People: The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet!

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Others to look into are:

Avian Organics: Avian Organics The Largest Selection of Organic Parrot & Bird Food Online Bird Bread, Bird Mashes, Mixes, Freeze Dried Chop

Bodacious Birdie Bites: Bodacious Birdie Bites-Organic Freeze Dried Bird Food

Avian Naturals: Avian Naturals

Nuts.com, their custom trail mix option, but you can also buy freeze dried and dried goodies separately: Custom Mixes | Nuts.com

For sprouts I like Sprout People: The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet!
Nuts.com bulk box of freeze dried carrots is a great deal, always crunchy and a great treat sub for nuts or seeds as they have a nice sweet/savory with no added sugar or salt.