• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frog update and turtle tank thoughts (Sad update post #48)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I love planted tanks so much, maybe you could do some floaters?
Yes! I always wanted that tiny little circle plant that bobs on the top! I thought it would be cute with all the tiny roots and the little turtle noses pointing up between it!:xflove:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I just looked. I think I could put some anubis in there, as long as I attach it to bark stuff well.

I'll post picture of me building this tank. I'll tell you when it turns up

(Remind me of all this, I think a turtle tank build thread would be cool!)

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Yes! I always wanted that tiny little circle plant that bobs on the top! I thought it would be cute with all the tiny roots and the little turtle noses pointing up between it!:xflove:
Yes! Im ordering frogbit, red root floaters, dwarf water lettuce, and water spangles for Sokka and Prism tomorrow! I dont like duckweed though.

• Love
Reactions: Ali

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I just looked. I think I could put some anubis in there, as long as I attach it to bark stuff well.

I'll post picture of me building this tank. I'll tell you when it turns up

(Remind me of all this, I think a turtle tank build thread would be cool!)
Super cool!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do you guys think this is a good deal?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/885974835262107/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=4ft aquarium&tracking=%7B"qid"%3A"6876136700008857604"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"3589986391033092"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"%7B%5C"target_id%5C"%3A3589986391033092%2C%5C"target_type%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"primary_position%5C"%3A-1%2C%5C"ranking_signature%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"commerce_channel%5C"%3A503%2C%5C"value%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"upsell_type%5C"%3Anull%7D"%7D

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Do you guys think this is a good deal?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/885974835262107/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=4ft aquarium&tracking=%7B"qid"%3A"6876136700008857604"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"3589986391033092"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"%7B%5C"target_id%5C"%3A3589986391033092%2C%5C"target_type%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"primary_position%5C"%3A-1%2C%5C"ranking_signature%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"commerce_channel%5C"%3A503%2C%5C"value%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"upsell_type%5C"%3Anull%7D"%7D
It looks like a 55g to me, that should be good

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just got @finchly 's tag!! Yes I have a bristlenose pleco, his name is Loomis. BN plecos stay smaller, around 5-6 inches. Very chill boys, they mostly hide and sometimes come out at night. They do a great job of eating the algae that grows on the glass, and they appreciate a good algae wafer.

I find they have a medium bioload, but nothing compared to the common pleco. They need driftwood to rasp and they also need at least a 30 gallon tank (I keep my guy in a 40 breeder).

Here's a couple pictures from a few months ago. He's a tiny bit pale in this one, I find plecos get pale when scared (like if you turn the lights on suddenly).
20200426_215114.jpg
20200426_215052.jpg

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I just got @finchly 's tag!! Yes I have a bristlenose pleco, his name is Loomis. BN plecos stay smaller, around 5-6 inches. Very chill boys, they mostly hide and sometimes come out at night. They do a great job of eating the algae that grows on the glass, and they appreciate a good algae wafer.

I find they have a medium bioload, but nothing compared to the common pleco. They need driftwood to rasp and they also need at least a 30 gallon tank (I keep my guy in a 40 breeder).

Here's a couple pictures from a few months ago. He's a tiny bit pale in this one, I find plecos get pale when scared (like if you turn the lights on suddenly).
View attachment 354716
View attachment 354717
Awww, he's adorable! Thanks for your help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry to hear about your frog :( I hope he gets better.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh no, I’m sorry about your frog :(

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Bird person here who also owns 4 turtles and a frog :D General recommendation is 10 gallons per 1 inch of shell length when it comes to turtles and their enclosure size. Just like with birds, bigger is always better! What species of turtle do you have and how long is its shell?

In terms of fish, you just have to be sure your turtle won't eat them (easier said than done!) and be sure the fish you put in the tank are safe for the turtle to eat if it does end up eating them to avoid health issues. I know plecos and other similar types of fish (suction/bottom feeders) are not recommended with turtles because sometimes they attach themselves to the turtle's shell and can cause serious damage.

Very sorry to hear about your frog's health, but just know it gets to live out its life, however long or short, under your wonderful care :hug8:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Bird person here who also owns 4 turtles and a frog :D General recommendation is 10 gallons per 1 inch of shell length when it comes to turtles and their enclosure size. Just like with birds, bigger is always better! What species of turtle do you have and how long is its shell?

In terms of fish, you just have to be sure your turtle won't eat them (easier said than done!) and be sure the fish you put in the tank are safe for the turtle to eat if it does end up eating them to avoid health issues. I know plecos and other similar types of fish (suction/bottom feeders) are not recommended with turtles because sometimes they attach themselves to the turtle's shell and can cause serious damage.

Very sorry to hear about your frog's health, but just know it gets to live out its life, however long or short, under your wonderful care :hug8:
Thank you so much! What turtle species do you have? Can we See pictures!

I have a musk turtle, Kasana, and he is probably not going to get any bigger now due to his age. He is about 4 inches