• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frog update and turtle tank thoughts (Sad update post #48)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hi all! I seem to be taking over the 'Herp Haven' section of this forum, so I apologise for that!

Sad passage below...

So, we have come to a conclusion about me dartfrog with bleached colouration (see thread titled 'Worried'). I believe that he has Metabolic Bone Disease, so I sadly don't have much hope. I have my fingers crossed that we caught this soon enough, and he is on all the supplements out there, and has a new high output UVB light being sorted. I saw him eat the other day, which made me happy, so that is a good step. It only dorned or me this morning it could have been MBD. I was thinking that the bleached colours could be because he is using all his vitamins to keep his bones as healthy as possible and things like colouration are no longer priority. :(

This is not a good situation for me as this won't be the first time I have lost an animal to MBD. A few years ago I lost my Peacock day gecko to the disease. He was taken to the vets and there was nothing that could be done. He was put go sleep. The vet told us that it had been a variation that he had been born with, and that there was nothing we could have done, even from the start. I miss the poor guy. :(

So, your good thoughts for both him, although he is now gone, and my frog, will be much appreciated.:)

Sorry this post has turned into me churning out my emotions, it isn't something I do often.

Turtle topic, not sad....
On the topic of the turtle, I would like your opinions on this tank I just found. It is 4ft long and 200 litres/about 52 us gallons.

Here it is-
He is so desperate for a new tank I think this would work well. Your thoughts? I would also like to add some fish again. Unfortunately, when I had neon tetra in with him, he was fine until he grew up and was able to eat them. I want some large, preferably pretty fish, that I could keep in this tank with Kasana. Bear in mind that when rocks, decor etc.... are added the amount of water will be a bit less.

Thank you for dealing with another of my posts, even if this one was sad.

Ali

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I'm glad he's at least eating!! That's a good sign! I wish you the greatest luck with it, Anyah was on thr verge of MBD when i got her from a rehome.

I think that tank would be really nice for your turtle!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm glad he's at least eating!! That's a good sign! I wish you the greatest luck with it, Anyah was on thr verge of MBD when i got her from a rehome.

I think that tank would be really nice for your turtle!
Thank you Anna:heart2:

Hopefully I can get that tank soon, I just have to think about finding money for all the furniture too. I will get it ordered soon anyway, and worry about that when I need to

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear about your frog. I will keep him in my thoughts! :rockby:

• Love

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sorry to hear about your frog. I will keep him in my thoughts! :rockby:
Thank you so much Zara. It means a lot. I feel so bad, like it was a failure of mine. I hope I can pull him back.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just remember it is not your fault and these things happen. All you can do is your best for him and hope for good results.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would also like to add some fish again. Unfortunately, when I had neon tetra in with him, he was fine until he grew up and was able to eat them. I want some large, preferably pretty fish, that I could keep in this tank with Kasana. Bear in mind that when rocks, decor etc.... are added the amount of water will be a bit less.
What you you guys think about pleco?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
What you you guys think about pleco?
And cichlids. I always wanted a cichlid tank and I think they would be a great match! What are your thoughts on this?

@finchly You seem to be pretty smart with aquariums. I was thinking an African variety

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
In the US, lots of people get the 'regular' plecos which get really large. I raised bushy-nosed plecos, I think @taxidermynerd has one she can show you. They stay small enough not to be a nuisance and they're very cool.

Cichlids. They're great, and for some reason I never had any until this tank. I inherited the fish, so I have a huge Mayan cichlid that was locally caught. Since then I've visited a fish store several times that specializes in cichlids and I'm starting to get interested. You just have to stick with one type -- African cichlids are the more colorful, right?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I love the tanks where they have a whole lot of one color.
I like either one colour or just a few select. Like I think light and dark blues, yellows, and then the green of the plants would go well together. Do cichlids work well in planted tanks?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I like either one colour or just a few select. Like I think light and dark blues, yellows, and then the green of the plants would go well together. Do cichlids work well in planted tanks?
From what I know, they like eating plants.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
So does the turtle lol, so maybe that is a good thing to keep me away from the expensive live plants I always fill the tank with, that end up torn to shreds
I love planted tanks so much, maybe you could do some floaters?