• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frightened Cockatiel

SunnySideUp

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ryleigh
I recently got a pet cockatiel that I've had for almost over two months, and he/she seems to be afraid of everything but me. Whenever I let it run around on my bedroom floor, it just runs right back to me and perches on my shoulder. I got some new toys for its cage and it is too scared to go near them. I've tried different types of toys, but everything scares it! It will hiss when I try to play using the toys. It was even scared of the treats I gave it before it finally decided to peck at it. Why is it so frightened of everything? Do I baby it too much?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It's common for birds to be afraid of unusual objects. At least he's not afraid of you! I think given time your bird will get used to things. Is she a baby? Try setting one or two new toys next to her cage for a week so she can get used to them. Touch them and play with them where she can watch, but not too close to her. You didn't baby her too much, she probably just wasn't exposed to many different things before coming to live with you. Also, two months isn't very long to a bird, and she is probably still getting used to things.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
It's amazing that she feels safe with you so quickly. I think you might be trying too many new things at once. I only introduce Buddy to one new toy at a time, and she's 7. Buddy is weird around new foods, too, including treats, so I wouldn't be too worried. Time and patience.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do not let her run around on the floor. It can be a dangerous place. Small items can drop on the floor and a curious bird may pick up something. I agree with slowing down and let your bird get comfortable with things slowly.