• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Friend for eclectus

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
Hello everyone just wanted to know what species of parrot can i put with my eclectus and is it a good idea??
I just want to give the guy n buddy for when i am not at home

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I can only say not another ekkie. There's no way to really know if they're going to get along, but the presence might help. Monaco grew up with a cag for her first 12 years, and still talks about her. Her previous owner is encouraging me to consider a second bird, but I can't do it right now.
@EkkieLu , @Miss Annamarie , @mythic55 all have multiple birds. They might be able to help you.

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
I can only say not another ekkie. There's no way to really know if they're going to get along, but the presence might help. Monaco grew up with a cag for her first 12 years, and still talks about her. Her previous owner is encouraging me to consider a second bird, but I can't do it right now.
@EkkieLu , @Miss Annamarie , @mythic55 all have multiple birds. They might be able to help you.
Thank you so much ,, i was thinking maybe i can get another ecckie , but they need so much ettention i was thinking of getting him something like a budgie

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
Thank you so much ,, i was thinking maybe i can get another ecckie , but they need so much ettention i was thinking of getting him something like a budgie

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I brought home a canary, and she gets very interested when I talk to him, but ignores him otherwise. I've considered a kakariki because I love their sounds and personality. As long as you're careful to keep them separate to prevent injury I bet it will be fun.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
If it's just for when you are not home, I'd recommend just a laptop or TV or even a radio.
As someone with 2 budgies and 2 ekkies I wouldn't recommend this since from what I understand you're only getting another bird to keep yours company. A smaller bird being 'friends' with another, larger bird is so risky, they can be sweet and cuddly one second and the next second your little guy is on the floor dead, I wouldn't risk it unless you're prepared to give them both attention but also keeping them both safe. Bee and Basil like sitting next to each other, but not very close and that is still risky and they are always supervised.

I'd stick with finding music or TV show your guy enjoys, but if you are really set on finding another companion bird that'll come with some different advice.

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
If it's just for when you are not home, I'd recommend just a laptop or TV or even a radio.

As someone with 2 budgies and 2 ekkies I wouldn't recommend this since from what I understand you're only getting another bird to keep yours company. A smaller bird being 'friends' with another, larger bird is so risky, they can be sweet and cuddly one second and the next second your little guy is on the floor dead, I wouldn't risk it unless you're prepared to give them both attention but also keeping them both safe. Bee and Basil like sitting next to each other, but not very close and that is still risky and they are always supervised.

I'd stick with finding music or TV show your guy enjoys, but if you are really set on finding another companion bird that'll come with some different advice.
I am so sorry I see I expressed myself wrong ,. I don't want to just buy n budgie and leave him with my ekkie, I will give him attention to I really like animals I have about 20 including dogs cats doves even a tortoise, I will give the budgie attention ,but the require much less attention than an ekkie that is the only reason why I was thinking of getting one , I used to own several budgies when I was younger so I know the don't need a much attention as my ekkie

I am building a aviary for pablo( ekkie) to play in during the day when I am at work and just thought it was maybe a good idea to put in another bird with him since he is still very young and hoping he will play nice

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik

I can afford another ekkie if that would be the best option, because parrots in general are very cheap in south africa , for example my friend who lives in the UK bought his ekkie for around 1500 pounds where in south africa my ekkie cost only R3500 which is about 150 dollars ( I don't know why parrots are so cheap in south africa?) All around SA they are so cheap to buy even from the biggest breeders

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I can afford another ekkie if that would be the best option, because parrots in general are very cheap in south africa , for example my friend who lives in the UK bought his ekkie for around 1500 pounds where in south africa my ekkie cost only R3500 which is about 150 dollars ( I don't know why parrots are so cheap in south africa?) All around SA they are so cheap to buy even from the biggest breeders
If you want to go that way DO NOT PAIR HIM WITH A GIRL. I can link my post with me explaining some of the issues if you are unconvinced. If you want another ekkie, make sure you can afford the time to spend chopping up 2x more fruits and veggies and 2x the time you are spending with your boy right now.

Reactions: tka