• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freya's Biopsy Results Are In

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
If it were me, I'd keep her happy and comfortable. Maybe ask about getting pain meds for her, and when it is her time to go, she will let you know.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:(:(I am so sorry for the bad news. I am sure you will make the right decision for her.:(:(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
honey, I am so very very sorry about this....My opinion is to let her live out her remaining life loved and comfortable...don't put her through any unnecessary torture....but that is your decision..I am so sorry for you both dear heart..:hug8:

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I personally am with Allison and Andrea. I would just let her live out her life, maybe see about getting pain medicine and when its time, you will know. I wouldnt want to put her in anymore more pain than she already is to prolong her life for a little bit. Im so so sorry :(

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
I'm so very sorry that you are having to go through this - trust your own judgement, get second opinions, and cherish the time that you have. I wish there was more to say...:hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so very sorry to hear this,if it were me I would let her live out the rest of her life with her mate and once its time,she will let you know.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to PM Kelly (Thecozynestbox) She has an amazon with this exact same cancer. She might have some insight. I am so sorry about the results.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I am so sorry for this news. :( I can't really say what I would do unless I had to face the issue myself. What a hard, decision to make!

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Again, I would like to say don't give up yet...I did not let Kiwi suffer in any way yet I did allow her live comfortably for a little longer than she would have without any intervention. Please at least get more detailed info before making a decision....I know it is a different type of cancer but there might be something you can do....Pm me if you have questions....

MollyMouse

Oh no Kelsey and Renae I am so very sorry :hug8:Prehaps like Andrea said you could look at a holistic option?? We all know you will make the choice you think is best and support you with it. Please take care of yourself and don't get run down. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:hug8:Wish it were better news and I'm one to say try finding more information and a alternative way of dealing with this..
AND see if you vet can get you into the paid vet site to do some research of other vets that they (your vet) don't have time to do...worth a shot!:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all so much for the support and suggestions! I'm very sorry that it has taken me this long to reply to this thread. I haven't been up to looking at this thread since posting it. But I think I'm ready to make a decision now. :(

Firstly I want to tell you all how special this little girl is. Freya likes to make a noise that sounds very much like "Sprinkles"! So much so that I'm starting to call her Sprinkles. :) She likes it. I'm not sure if you use this work often in your house Renae, but Freya sure as heck didn't pick it up here!

Freya will also dance whenever I dance. She is so cute and will actually hop from foot to foot and bob her head very vigorously when I do the same. She is an absolute darling! I'll try to get a video of it to show you guys. :) I'm sure you will all love it as much as I do!

On a much worse note, Freya is not doing very well in general. :(

She is definitely still eating and vocalising, but her healthy eye has started to show signs of cancer. She closes it quite often and it looks like the eyelid is swollen. The eye that had the large tumour on it still looks fine.

Her beak is also starting to deteriorate. :( On the left side it looks like there is a small piece missing from the corner of her beak. I'm not sure what this could mean.

I'm taking her back to my avian vet next week to have it all looked at. I want to discuss Chemotherapy with them too. I also want to discuss holistic ways we can improve her life. They gave me some natural remedies for Artemis, my Budgie who suffered from testicular cancer, so I'm sure they would be able to give me some more suggestions for Freya.

So that is what I want to do. Depending on what my avian vet tells me about Chemo, that is what I want. If Chemo will put too much strain on Freya's already weakened body, then I'm more inclined to spend that money on lots of toys, good food and perhaps an aviary for her and Cian. Then at least she can spend her final days in absolute luxary.

I will see.

I also had a nice long look at her leg band. She was hatched in 2009. She is still so young.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh Kelsey, much love to you for being so strong for all of the birds in your care.:hug8: I can't say what I would do, without being in the situation myself. I am sure you will make the best decision. So very sad. I did not realize birds can get cancer so often.:(
Sending positive thoughts and healing energy for Freya.:hug8:

MollyMouse

We know you will make the best decision for you and the birds in the end Kelsey. Best of luck with everything and sending lots of positive thoughts to you and Freya :hug8: And a big hug for Renae also :hug8:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have no idea where she got Sprinkles from, LOL! what a smart girl. :)

So she is a real show off towards you too, huh? she would prance up and down the perch when she was here, my mum loved it every time she done it, and she could stand there all day prancing along with Freya.

It's sad to hear she's not doing well.. she's going through a lot, I can't believe her healthy eye is now starting to show signs of cancer, ugh! and her beak, I wonder what that is from? I'd not noticed anything, but maybe it's something completely different. :(

I hope that the Chemo is something you can go ahead with, anything to help her that much more, and help her live her life for a lot longer and it not be shortened.. you're (and your AV) are doing everything for her that you can right now, until you can go further to see what else you can do. I think the natural remedies would be worth a try as well!

And 2009? SERIOUSLY? he told me they were both 18 months old when he got them, and he had them for a few years, so I thought they would be at least 3-4 if not 5 years old. Wow.. that's interesting. :huh:

Anyway, thanks for the update Kelsey, I'm sure Freya is ever so thankful for what you're doing for her. :hug8:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We know you will make the best decision for you and the birds in the end Kelsey. Best of luck with everything and sending lots of positive thoughts to you and Freya :hug8: And a big hug for Renae also :hug8:
Awe, thank you! :hug8::hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
awe, just a baby....

I think you have a really good plan in place...get all the info you can about treatments and then make a decision. Honestly, I did not notice any reactions to the chemo with Kiwi...she took her meds like a champ and did really well for those few months. Hope the same happens with your baby.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
It is entirely up to you what you decide. I know it is hard to take in rescues/rehomes to only see bad things happen to them.

One part of me says let her be until it shows up again and you see her quality of life dwindling.

The other part of me says to try the chemotherapy. Give her a chance. If you find at some point, it is too much for her, then let her go.

My big thing is the value of life of our pets. If you find that the disease or treatment is ruining her value of life, why do it?? I would not want to go through life suffering anymore then I need to and I think our pets are the same way.

It is a very difficult decision but they are lucky to have you and rely on you for their well being. It takes a strong person to be selfless and do what is best for our pets.

Hugs to you. I am sorry you are going through thise and so sorry for her as well.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Kelsey I am so sorry. I have no idea what I would do in your place, I guess whatever the options the vet thinks that will give her the best chance of extending her life and quality of life would be the way to go. Sending prayers for a miracle.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
My big thing is the value of life of our pets. If you find that the disease or treatment is ruining her value of life, why do it?? I would not want to go through life suffering anymore then I need to and I think our pets are the same way.
I have not had to make this kind of decision for any of my birds, but I have had to make it for many other animals, and this is where I end up.

If an aggressive/risky/invasive procedure may result in a substantially extended life of good quality, then I go for it. If not, then my choice is to provide love and a peaceful end to a life well lived.

The pain of loss is the price we pay for the gift of love. Whatever decision you make will be the best possible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.