• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freya's Biopsy Results Are In

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm sick and tired of bad news. I'm sick of investing an immense amount of time, money and love into rehomed and rescued birds only to find out that my next job will be to decide when to kill them.

I'm angry that I always allow myself to bond, love and care for these birds before I know their prognosis!

I'm so, so, so exhausted from constantly stressing about sick birds.

Why do I even take in birds that need help? :sad2:

I got the biopsy results back for the tumour that was removed from Freya's eye. Basically she has an extremely aggressive form of skin cancer.

The tumour will grow back because they could not remove it all. It had roots all the way into her eye and skull.

It might grow back in a month, it might be in a week or it might even start growing back tomorrow.

Considering how aggressive this cancer is and how long we know Freya has had the tumour for, the vets tell me it is very likely that it has already spread to her bones and organs.

So here are the options we have for Freya.

1. We keep her happy and healthy until the tumour makes an appearance on her eye again. The vets can then remove it again with surgery. Then we keep her happy and healthy again until the tumour makes another appearance on her eye. Then we repeat the process.

This option has its flaws because it will require multiple surgeries until we reach the point where Freya cannot fight any longer. Keep in mind that Freya has a heart murmur and it is a huge risk putting her under anesthetics. Recovering from multiple surgeries on such a sensitive area will be painful and she will need to be on strong pain medication. This will leave her spaced out and lethargic.

2. The vets perform a very aggressive surgery on Freya. They will remove her entire eye and scrape the cancer off her skull (perhaps even needing to remove part of the skull) in order to get as much of the cancer out as possible.

This is extremely risky and will be a very painful recovery for Freya. The chance of a small bird surviving such invasive surgery is slim. Couple that with her heart murmur and she has a very tiny chance of waking up from this option.

3. Chemotherapy. We can start this with Freya and hope that it extends her life a little longer.

Actually, while researching Freya's condition I found an article about another parrot that had the exact same cancer as Freya. Her owner opted for Chemotherapy treatment: Sick as a parrot... Woman says sad farewell to bird after paying £50,000 for its cancer treatment | Mail Online

Those are the three options. We could try a combination of them too.

I've been crying since I got the results back. I keep going back and forth with what I want to do for Freya.

I don't want her to suffer. I don't want her to be in pain. I don't want to give up on her prematurely.

What would you do for her if Freya was part of your flock? :sad2:

I'm sorry if I am ranting. I'm sure I just need time to relax and think about this. My emotions are running high and I apologise.

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
You do it because you care and you love them :hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so sorry for the bad news...did you read my Kiwi's story? She was diagnosed with lymphoma and was on chemo treatments....she did so well for a while and then she lost her battle...the whole ordeal was emotionally draining, but I promised her i would try...as long as she was able to be comfortable and fight so was I. Be strong...you have a huge heart and will get through this....I am here to talk any time you need to. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm soo sorry your going thru this.. :hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm so sorry to hear of this :sad1:
You're a wonderful person and you care and love for your birds, that is so obvious. Whatever you choose, you have shown Freya a quality of life that I'm sure she has never known before, and I promise you she is most grateful to you.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh no...I'm so sorry. :hug5:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Hi Kelsey,

I was so hoping the results would be better. That is a tough decision to make. I really don't know what I would do. You are a very blessed person to take in birds and love them and care for them like you do.

Part of me opts to just let Freya enjoy her life with out having any more done, but then there is a part of me that says fight this stuff. Animals are so different then us in how they handle stuff.

I know this sounds strange but maybe ask Freya what she would want to do.

Sorry I could not be of more help. What ever you choose will be the right decision. :hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Part of me opts to just let Freya enjoy her life with out having any more done, but then there is a part of me that says fight this stuff. Animals are so different then us in how they handle stuff.
I was thinking that as well. If every option is a danger to Freya, maybe just let her live out her natural life without treatments. I look at it this way...if I were Freya, and artificial treatments could kill me with little chance of curing me....I'd want to just be left alone and enjoy what I have free of drugs and surgeries.

Of course, it all depends on the risk of premature death from the option compared to chance of curing her ailments. In this case, it just didn't sound worth the pain to put her through it to me, JMHO. But it's easier to say when looking at it objectively, rather than being attached to the little one. No matter which you choose, you have our support. I'm so sorry for the bad news :hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Having experience with this, I can say that surgery was just too risky, not something I would have tried. The chemo treatments Kiwi had were not traumatic. She had an injection a couple times...really fast....and then she took three oral meds every day. The only traumatic part were her taps of fluid in her abdomen, but your baby does not have this problem.

I would speak to your vet about the chemotherapy and see exactly what it entails so you can make a more informed decision...I know it is so much to take in....but no matter what you decide it will be in the best interest of Freya, I'm sure.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so sorry......Hugs.......

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Kelsey, I am so sorry! What devastating news. Freya (and all the other birds you have taken in and loved and cared for) are so very blessed to have you in their lives. I know it's painful, heartbreaking, and a host of other emotions to take in these wonderful creatures and then get news like this. It takes courage and a big heart to do what you do! You are an angel to these poor birds. Bless you. Try to stay strong.

I'm not in your position so I can't say what I would do with 100percent certainty, but my gut and heart tells me that I would just let Freya continue to live her life to the fullest without surgeries, pain and risk of death. Quality of life, to me, is more important than quantity. No one wants to live a life full of constant pain. Wishing you the best with this terrible decision. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way. Hugs to you.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Because you have such a great heart, that's why!

I'm honestly not sure what to say.. and I don't think me saying sorry is enough. :( It's heart rending and I can only imagine how you feel and how hard it will be for you. Each of the options have the goods and the bads, I don't know if I could put her through surgery after surgery, but then I don't know if I could even go with number #2 or #3.

Please remember that in the end you'll do what you think is best for her, she's gotten this far with your and your Avian Vets help/care, god knows how much longer she would have had left if she continued to be left untreated. :hug8:

I feel so awful and sorry for her, it's like a piece of your heart's been ripped out and thrown away.. although she's no longer mine, I still care so much about her, and I know it may not seem like that because she was taken to you, and it probably makes me look bad.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I agree with Brigid, it isn't quantity it is about quality. Freya should be enjoying what time she has left with you. Choosing to let her do this does not in any way make you an uncaring person.

Put yourself in her place, would you, knowing what is going to go on for possibly the next several weeks or months of her life, want to be kept alive like that?

My mom had a DNR and no matter how we knew we didn't want that for her, it wasn't about us and our comfort zone. Unfortunately they don't have that luxery.

You will do what is best and we are all here for you.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
man my heart just sank reading her diagnosis, poor Freya :hug8:
This is a tough decision you have to make and like other roadies have said, we can give our opinion but it isn't the same as really going through it in your shoes.
If it were me I would consider either the chemo treatments or the "operating her eye tumor when it gets too big"

I would also ask the vet it this tumor just keeps growing or will it stop at the size it was when you got her? sometimes when you mess with tumors, it's like waking them up and then they metastasize. I think the operation where they take off all her eye and scrape her skull is too much for her tiny body.

Saying I am so sorry sounds redundant but I am, so very sorry for you and little Freya. :hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Oh no :(
:hug8::hug8::hug8:
i have no words for you kelsey
i'm sorry :(

greyfeathertoys

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Wells
My breath was taken away, by the turmoil you and Freya are struggling with. I will keep you in my thoughts and know you (and only you) can know what is best. Sending love your way.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so very sorry for both of you.

Matt

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I don't know if this is possible for you, but have you ever thought of getting a holistic evaluation? Maybe there's something that would be no pain to Freya that would stunt growth of the tumor. I was always a little wary of the "holistic" medicine, until we went that way for Tango's infection. It didn't clear up after months of antibiotics, but when we started going non-traditional he cleared up in 2 visits, and stayed that way!

Anyway...just a thought.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking that as well. If every option is a danger to Freya, maybe just let her live out her natural life without treatments. I look at it this way...if I were Freya, and artificial treatments could kill me with little chance of curing me....I'd want to just be left alone and enjoy what I have free of drugs and surgeries.
I feel the same way.

I don't know if this is possible for you, but have you ever thought of getting a holistic evaluation? Maybe there's something that would be no pain to Freya that would stunt growth of the tumor. I was always a little wary of the "holistic" medicine, until we went that way for Tango's infection. It didn't clear up after months of antibiotics, but when we started going non-traditional he cleared up in 2 visits, and stayed that way!

Anyway...just a thought.
This is a great idea. I have heard of people with cancer who've been helped with holistic treatment too.

Status
Not open for further replies.